Add-in Word installation problem

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-in Word installation problem

Alessandro Ghezzi

Hello all,

I have a problem with an add-in that adds a button in a new toolbar in Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
This add-in works on most cases, but sometimes my button doesn't appears in Word (and it is not listed in Disabled Items), but it appears in Excel and Powerpoint.
Unfortunately I can't determine exactly what are the conditions that make button to not appears and I can't reproduce this error.
It seems that this problem happens with Windows XP and Office XP/2003, and sometimes it's enough unregister and register again the dll to fix it.
Does anybody knows what can cause this problem?

I'm using Add-in express version 2.3 on Delphi 6 professional,
Thank you
Posted 22 May, 2006 09:16:14 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Alessandro,

The first idea I can come up with is that some exception sometimes raises in the OnAddInInitialize or OnAddInStartupComplete event handlers in case Word is the add-in's host application. Do you have these event handlers in your add-in? Also, please see if your add-in is checked or unchecked in the COM Add-ins dialog box after your button dissapears.

And one more question, what value is set in the Temporary property of your command bar and your command bar button?

Posted 22 May, 2006 09:53:43 Top
Alessandro Ghezzi

Hi Dimitry,

I have no code in the OnAddInInitialize or OnAddInStartupComplete events. I only use OnError and OnCreate events.
In the OnCreate events I just set some captions and set value to TadxCommandBarMyObject.SupportedApps property.

What do you mean with "COM Add-ins dialog box"? Is it in Delphi or in Word? If it is in delphi, please note that the same dll works on many computer and sometimes it doesn't works on others, so I think that it is not a compiler problem.
Otherwise, if that option is in Word, please me tell me where I can find it: I'm using Office XP (2002) but I can't found any COM Add-ins dialog :oops:

Temporary property is set to False.
Posted 23 May, 2006 10:28:19 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Alessandro,

What do you mean with "COM Add-ins dialog box"? Is it in Delphi or in Word?

It is a MS Word dialog box:

1. Open MS Word.
2. On the Tools menu, click Customize.
3. On the Commands tab, under Categories, click Tools.
4. Under Commands, click COM Add-Ins.
5. Drag the COM Add-Ins command to a toolbar location of your choice.

Posted 23 May, 2006 10:55:37 Top
Alessandro Ghezzi

Thank you, I found it, but there is a problem. On my system I have no problem, and I have not any system that have this problem to do some tests: when customers call me because they "doesn't see my button" I can't tell them to open COM Add-Ins dialog because they are "stupid" users, and they just want that button works.
What are the causes that can "hide" my add-in? There is a way to prevent hiding of by add-in?

Should I use Application.COMAddIns(n).Connect to make my add-in visible again?
Posted 25 May, 2006 06:01:50 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Alessandro,

Where is your command bar positioned by default? Is it floating?

Posted 25 May, 2006 06:15:39 Top
Alessandro Ghezzi

Hi Dimitry, this is dfm of my command bar. I removed useless properties:

object myBar: TadxCommandBar
    SupportedApps = [ohaExcel, ohaWord]
    CommandBarName = 'myBar'
    Position = adxMsoBarTop
    Left = 56
    Top = 24
    ButtonTypes = {0100000000000000}
    Buttons = <
      item
        Caption = 'myBar'
        OfficeTag = 'BtnmyBar'
        olExplorerItemTypes = [adxOLMailItem]
        olInspectorItemTypes = [adxOLMail]
        TooltipText = '_myBar'
        Style = adxMsoButtonIconAndCaption
        OnClick = myBarControls0Click
        PropertyChanged = 17
      end>
    PropertyChanged = 6
  end

Posted 26 May, 2006 09:38:50 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Alessandro,

As I can see your command bar is not floating. Unfortunately, at the moment I don't understand reason of such behavior. Please give me as many details as possible about these users' OSes and MS Offices.

Posted 26 May, 2006 10:29:41 Top
Alessandro Ghezzi

Hi Dimitry,

can you tell me what kind of details do you need? I don't know much details of our customer's PC, they just tell us that they use Windows XP (SP2) and Office 2003, and often they install our product on a "clean" machine, with just OS and Office

This bad command bar behaviour often disappear uninstalling and reinstalling my application, but it's not a good thing to tell to my customers...
Posted 26 May, 2006 11:36:05 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Alessandro,

Windows XP SP2 and Office 2003 SP2 is my work environment. I never saw such a behavior. Is the "Prompt to save Normal template" flag checked on your customers (see Tools -> Options -> Save tab page)? Also, I recommend you to include logging functionality in your add-in to understand what happens.

Posted 29 May, 2006 07:00:52 Top