Setting category of email sometimes doesn't take effect

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Setting category of email sometimes doesn't take effect

Dwayne Blew

In my project, I check to make sure a specific category exists whenever Outlook is opened, and create it if it doesn't exist. No problems with that.

Part of the program applies a category to user-selected emails. 99% of the time this works fine, however, every so often, users are encountering times when the category does not seem to take effect with the item on the Exchange server.

"CurrentMailItem" is of type MailItem.
CAT_TEXT is just a global constant and looks like:
CAT_TEXT = 'My Custom Category';

Here are the two lines that set the category:
CurrentMailItem.Categories := CAT_TEXT;
CurrentMailItem.Save;

Is there something I need to do with the mail item in order to guarantee that the change has been made on the Exchange server?

Thanks!

Edit: This isn't really functionality provided by the add-in express library I'm using, but maybe AIE can handle categories in some way, or the developers might have some insight?
Posted 12 Jun, 2012 14:34:29 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Dwayne,

I suppose this occurs if the user's Outlook is in Exchange Cached Mode. In this case, the modification should be promoted to the server e.g. by clicking Send/Receive. Is this the case?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 13 Jun, 2012 02:52:17 Top
Dwayne Blew

We do run in Cached Exchange Mode, maybe that has an effect. It's just strange, the problem doesn't happen often, and it can happen to an email in the middle of many selected emails, and the rest are updated without a problem. I thought maybe there's a way of verifying the change was made, or forcing it.

The next time it happens, I will see if pressing Send/Receive manually updates the email.
Posted 13 Jun, 2012 08:43:37 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Please let me know about the outcome. Thank you in advance.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 13 Jun, 2012 08:51:34 Top