Cell Values

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Cell Values

Peter Sippel

Hi,

I'm not sure what's the best way to access the cell values. For example, to get all values in the first row:

This one is extremly slow:
arrHdr[i-1] := ExcelApp.Cells.Value[1,i];

This one is obviously not possible, although mentioned in another topic in this forum:
arrHdr[i-1] := ExcelApp.Cells[1,i];

This one fires an exception:
arrHdr[i-1] := ExcelApp.Cells.Text[1,i];

This one works good, but it's not so easy to get the column Name (AB, AC, ...) dynamically
arrHdr[i-1] := ExcelApp.Range['A'+inttostr(i),EmptyParam].Value;

As there's no reference for VCL, please advice the best way to access the cell values

TIA.
Peter
Posted 02 Dec, 2011 16:13:51 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Peter,

This part relates to using the Excel object model, not Add-in Express.

You need to construct a range containing required cells and call ExcelRange.Value. This returns an OleVariant containg values of all cells from the first area of the range.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 03 Dec, 2011 04:24:54 Top
Peter Sippel

Hi Andrei,

I understand that you can't give support for the MS Object Model. But this is related to how the VCL AddIn Express Components works.

In AddIn .net you can use "Range.Cells[row, col].Value" for example, in VBA you can use similar "Cells(row,col).Value". In VCL it's not possible to use it like that, as Cells is no array and no fuction. It's implemented as a Range.

Unfortunately there's no VCL reference and I don't have the source subscription. Also here in the forum I couldn't find anything about that. So how can I get to know, how AddIn Express for VCL works and which functions or vars etc. I should use ?

I don't think it's a highly sophisticated task to access the cell values, Addin Express is all about this kind of stuff, isn't it ?

So if you have one example with the best approach to use Addin Express for VCL to get/set the cell values, this would help very much and would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Peter
Posted 03 Dec, 2011 05:59:44 Top
Peter Sippel

Hi Andrei,

I get good results, using Cells.Value[Row,Col] property of different ranges. So the problem above was obviously the use of ExcelApp.Cells.Value, which is probably ALL cells of the app and hence, very slow.

I seem to begin to understand a bit how Addin Express works and what's related to COM.

I'm very impressed of what you can achieve with the Addin Express Library. Thanks a lot for that.

Rgds
Peter
Posted 04 Dec, 2011 03:37:53 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Peter,

Thank you for the nice words!

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 05 Dec, 2011 01:35:51 Top