Using a BackstageGroup with IdMso "GroupPrintProtectedView" causes Word to crash

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Using a BackstageGroup with IdMso "GroupPrintProtectedView" causes Word to crash

Roger Middlebrook

Office 2010
ADX 6.5.3057

To reproduce this error:

• Create a new COMAddIn
  • Add an AdxBackstageView component
  • Add an AdxBackstageTab to this with IdMso "TabPrint"
  • Add an AdxBackstageGroup with IdMso "GroupPrintProtectedView" to the FirstColumn of the tab
  • Run your add-in within Word
  • Close the initial document so you now have no documents open in Word
  • Click the File tab to return to Backstage View
  • Word crashes

I really would like to work with the GroupPrintProtectedView but do not know how to stop this error occurring when all documents are closed and the user clicks the File tab.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks
Posted 18 Nov, 2011 08:30:26 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Roger,

Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce the issue because as soon as I close the active document in Word the TabPrint backstage tab is getting disabled. Could you please specify the build number of Office 2010 you have installed on the PC?
Posted 18 Nov, 2011 08:50:40 Top
Roger Middlebrook

Thanks Eugene. The Office version is 14.0.6106.5005 (32-bit).

Just to be clear on what I do to cause the crash:

• I click the File tab to go to Backstage View
  • Then I click the Close button, which takes me back to the Home tab with no document open
  • If I then click on the File tab again, Word crashes.

I want to get exactly the same as you do, with the Print tab disabled. Sadly I get the crash instead.
Posted 18 Nov, 2011 09:03:49 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Roger,

I did exactly the same steps as you do. Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce the issue even with Office 2010 14.0.6106.5005 (32-bit). Do you have any other add-ins installed for Word?

Anyway, could you please send a sample add-in project which can reproduce the issue to the support e-mail address (see readme.txt for details)? I will test it in one of my virtual PCs with Office 2010 x86.
Posted 18 Nov, 2011 09:41:04 Top
Roger Middlebrook

I do have other add-ins loaded but they are Microsoft's own:

• Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Tools for Office Design-Time Adaptor for Word 2003
  • Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Tools for Office Design-Time Adaptor for Word 2007
  • MyAddin3 - this is the cut down addin that causes the problem
  • OneNoteLinked Notes Add-In

I'll send you MyAddin3.
Posted 18 Nov, 2011 09:50:34 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Roger,

Thank you for providing me with a sample add-in project. I have finally reproduced the issue in one of my virtual PCs with Windows XP and Office 2010 x86.

It looks like this issue doesn't relate to Add-in Express and belongs to Office 2010 x86 (note, the x64 version of Office works like a charm). I can reproduce it even with a regular VSTO add-in project (could send it to you if you wish). Moreover, I can't provide you with any workaround because the issue doesn't depend on our code.
Posted 19 Nov, 2011 11:44:42 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Roger,

I posted the description of the issue http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/worddev/thread/b537bf03-a874-4ba7-84bd-36b4ebc8067f. Hopefully, in a couple of days, we will get some reaction from Microsoft staff.

I see two variants:
- we've missed something; in this case, there's a hope that we'll get a solution of this problem
- we are correct and this is a bug in Word, Ribbon or elsewhere; in this case, we will have to live with it for an unknown time frame.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 22 Nov, 2011 02:30:25 Top
Roger Middlebrook

Thanks Andrei

Do you think this is perhaps related to my earlier post: http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=10147? It was whilst trying to resolve this earlier problem that I found this additional issue.

Roger
Posted 22 Nov, 2011 03:06:36 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Roger,

I've found that your original issue is a bug, see http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/worddev/thread/ecd3cc0f-90c5-4d40-9419-9341a9f5d88a. I don't know if the two bugs are related.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 22 Nov, 2011 11:02:53 Top