Custom BackStage modifications vanish after ActiveProtectedViewWindow.Edit

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Custom BackStage modifications vanish after ActiveProtectedViewWindow.Edit

Roger Middlebrook

If I open a Word attachment from Outlook, the document is opened in a ProtectedView window.

On the BackStage TabPrint tab there is then a button "Enable Printing". If I click this button ALL my BackStage customisations disappear for the active document. They are still visible in the window of a different document but are no longer available in the window from which I clicked "Enable Printing".

Do you know how to get around this or can you suggest a way?

Many thanks
Posted 15 Nov, 2011 12:19:33 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Roger,

It looks like this is a bug in Office (doesn't come from Add-in Express). Moreover, I can reproduce the issue with a regular VSTO add-in project. I could send it to you if you wish.
Posted 16 Nov, 2011 01:47:13 Top
Roger Middlebrook

Thanks Eugene. If the VSTO add-in project simply shows the same problem there is no need to send it to me. I didn't think it was an ADX bug anyway but is there a way to tell Word to reinstate the custom modifications? Perhaps you know or can think of some other circumvention?

Many thanks
Posted 16 Nov, 2011 02:06:16 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Roger,

Nope. Unfortunately the Office Object Model doesn't provide any property or method for this. Today I will take closer look at the issue and then let you know whether any workaround exists.
Posted 16 Nov, 2011 02:43:28 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Roger,

Unfortunately there is no any workaround for this: only the OnShow and OnHide callbacks are called. You can read more about the Backstage UI in the http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee691833.aspx article in MSDN.
Posted 18 Nov, 2011 07:12:03 Top