xml and excel

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

xml and excel
obtaining stock quotes from xml file and refreshing excel file 
John Evans

Greetings. I am new to this forum and using the Add-in Express. So please be kind. I have a XML file that would be pulled into Excel 2003 and refreshed. In going thru the documentation, I have not been able to find any info on this subject. I have worked thru and reviewed several of the RTD Server examples that I found.
I ask if anyone has done this before and is willing to help me get thru this, it is appreciated.
Thank you.
... John
Posted 19 Dec, 2007 23:38:07 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi John.

Could you please explain in more details what the actual difficulty you experience?
Posted 20 Dec, 2007 09:16:17 Top
John Evans

Sergey, thank you for responding. There is an xml file that is updated with stock quote information (symbols and amts). On a spreadsheet, the user will type a symbol or name and the spreadsheet is then updated with the information from the xml. I miss typed indicating the xml is coming into the spreadsheet, it is only the info on it. So, there could be multiple spreadsheets with any number of stock symbols to update. The user will eventually be designing the various spreadsheets but it is what I am tasked to do for getting the information into it.
This is my dilemma and I would have to say I am not sure where or how to work this out. The RTD add-in is definitely the way to go for this but, again, I am a true novice at this.
Thank you in advance for any assistance.
... John
Posted 20 Dec, 2007 23:23:40 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi John.

I think that RTD is the suitable solution in this case. Did you read our documentation yet? Also please look at the Visual Basic Help for Excel to learn more about the Excel object model.

There are some Excel books in the Internet.
E.g. 'Programming Excel with VBA and .NET' http://safari.oreilly.com/0596007663
Posted 21 Dec, 2007 08:59:57 Top