Addin-to-addin compatibility

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Addin-to-addin compatibility

Rick Koch

We use a third-party Outlook addin on our system. I have not yet tracked down the technology behind this addin, but it's definitely not VSTO. (I've logged a call to their support line, and I'm waiting for a knowledgeable person to call me back.)

On some of my machines, Outlook will not start if both my addin and this "other" addin are active. The startup exception seems to reference the other addin, but both addins are disabled in the process. I can re-enable my addin and it will work, but if I try to re-enable both then they will both be disabled again on a subsequent restart.

Our desktops are highly standardized (though not completely identical), yet this only happens on some computers.

Being that the whole idea of VSTO is to insulate addins from each other, what could be causing this?

Note that the third-party addin works primarily with appointments, including custom forms. My addin does some appointment work as well, and makes a complete scan of the Calendar folder at startup.

Sorry this seems incomplete; I will post more details as I am able to reproduce the problems. I'm just looking for general compatibility comments.

Rick
Posted 12 Feb, 2007 10:45:09 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Rick.

Can I test the third-party Outlook addin on my PC?

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them.
Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 13 Feb, 2007 10:17:03 Top
Rick Koch

I will find out.

Right now I'm inclined to think the other addin has problems that go beyond incompatibility with my addin. It appears to be less than stable even without my addin.
Posted 13 Feb, 2007 10:46:48 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Ok, please let me know if you need my help.

Posted 13 Feb, 2007 22:31:13 Top