Different appearance of buttons when switch to "Simplified Ribbon"

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Different appearance of buttons when switch to "Simplified Ribbon"

wehbi

Hi,

since the introduction of the "Simplified Ribbon" I want to change the appearance of my buttons when the feature is activated. The first approach I was thinking about is to introduce a second button group and hide/view either one or the other to achieve my goal.
For this approach I was looking for an event which is fired as soon as the ribbon is switched from "Classic View" to "Simplified View" through the bottom-right arrow in the menu bar, but I could not find any helpful information.

Is there an event which I can use to show and hide the different button groups or is there another, better way how I can achieve my goal?

Thanks,
Birger
Posted 10 Jun, 2021 09:40:55 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Birger,

I interpret my tests so that in the Outlook UI there are two Ribbon commands: 1) minimizes/restores the Ribbon, IdMso="MinimizeRibbon"; this one is also available in other Office applications, 2) switches between classic and simplified Ribbons; IdMso isn't published.

Since there's no IdMso to check, you cannot find out whether the classic or simplified Ribbon is used.

I assume it is possible to check that UI control via UI automation.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 11 Jun, 2021 05:42:33 Top
wehbi

Hello Andrei,

we solved it with UI automation.

Unfortunately, there is no unique ID to for the button so we had to identify the element for each supported language.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Birger
Posted 23 Jun, 2021 01:40:19 Top