adxloader.[project].dll not being included in publish

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

adxloader.[project].dll not being included in publish

Dan Evans

recently upgraded from an older version of Add-in express to latest in order to target latest Excel versions.

upgraded a few projects with no issue but now seeing this issue.

the adxloader.[project].dll + adxloader64.[project].dll files are present in the project and both are set to 'Copy always'

compiling the project, the files are included in the output, so registering the project on the local dev machine works fine & I can see the XLL functions within Excel

When trying to publish, out of the two indicated files only the adxloader64.[project].dll is included in the list of publish files.

deploying the generated package out to a machine results in excel complaining that adxloader.[project].dll can not be found - which makes sense as it isn't in the package anymore. The UI is available but as expected the XLL functions are not.

Any ideas why the adxloader.[project].dll files isn't being included in the publish?
Posted 09 Apr, 2020 04:10:07 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Dan,

Make sure the add-in project (and setup project, if it exists) follows steps outlined in section Deploying a per-user Office extension via an MSI installer; see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 09 Apr, 2020 04:42:31 Top
Dan Evans

Thank you Andrei for your quick response,

It is a click once package that I am creating, I did check through the documentation and apart from the fact I am targeting x86 all was in order. I modified my target to 'any cpu' but am still seeing the same issue of the adxloader.[project].dll file not being included in the publish. It is included in the project build.

I have been able to include the file via 'Step 6. Add additional files (optional)' from P284 of the documentation. Just concerned as this file was automatically copied over in the past and isn't now - How does the 'populate' button in the Publish dialog obtain the list of files that SHOULD be included?
Posted 09 Apr, 2020 05:11:28 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Dan,

We suppose something is wrong with the project structure. You can send us your project or create a new project to check if it works.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 10 Apr, 2020 01:10:36 Top
Dan Evans

wont be able to send project but will try rebuilding it. Will let you know how it goes..

Thank you for your guidance.
Posted 14 Apr, 2020 00:26:55 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

You are welcome!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Apr, 2020 00:55:40 Top