License question

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

License question

Franz Scharf

We develop Outlook AddIns and have to test them on different configurations. We use VMWare Workstation and have Win2000, WinXP Home and Professional, WIN98SE and so on installed. On this OS we also have different Outlook Versions installed, like Outlook 2000, XP, 2003, 2007 and so on.. sometimes we also have to install VS 2005 on some of this virtual machines to find some bugs.
Your install policy says one license for 3 PCs. How do you handle your license policy if we uninstall AddIn-Express, or OSM on one virtual machine and install it on another virtual machine many times. It?Â?Ð?és still just used once on one machine. Will we run out of activation codes?

Thank you,
Franz Scharf
Posted 02 Aug, 2006 12:45:34 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Franz.

Yes, your activations will be run out.
I would advise you to install ADX on three PCs and then you use the add-in installer to test it on other configurations.
Posted 02 Aug, 2006 19:22:01 Top
Franz Scharf

I read your EULA very carefully, especially the part for transferring the software. How can you handle the transfer of the software if you can?Â?Ð?ét even handle the transfer of the software from me to me? How would you handle the reinstall of the software on a new PC?Â?Ð?és with different hardware where I would need a new activation?
I know it?Â?Ð?és not your fault, it?Â?Ð?és a problem of the activation code provider, but no serious AddIn developer can work that way. According to your EULA I should get another activation code every time I uninstall it on one PC and install it on another PC. That could happen when I have customers with serious problems with my AddIn and I have to test it on another PC configuration and should provide a solution for their problems within hours. What if I can?Â?Ð?ét do it because I get no new activation code. That could cost me lots of money.
So I?Â?Ð?ém very sorry, but that is too risky for every serious AddIn programmer and the fact is, that you can?Â?Ð?ét provide what you promise in your EULA.
If that is correct I would like to know what I have to do to get my money back according to the ?Â?Ð?èunconditional 30 days money back guarantee?Â?Ð?é. Because I didn?Â?Ð?ét find any hint on your websites how to do that.
Thank you,
Franz Scharf
Posted 02 Aug, 2006 20:18:24 Top
Martin Mizzell

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I am having problems with the activations, too. Sergey, the suggestion that you gave me with registry keys is not working and I am actually unable to install the adx software (i have purchased toolbars, adx, extensions, and security mgr) on the needed machines. i was holding off on contacting you guys because i didnt want to be a bother, but since i am not the only one with this problem... is'nt there something that you guys can do to help with this? I tried to use the manual activation with my previous serial, hardware ID, and activation code, and the install still fails every time saying "Library not activated".

Regards,

Martin Mizzell
Posted 02 Aug, 2006 22:45:46 Top
Franz Scharf

Hi Sergey,

maybe my question wasn?Â?Ð?ét clear enough and there is some misunderstanding because I still can?Â?Ð?ét believe it. Let me rephrase the question.
If I have Add-In-Express installed on 3 PC?Â?Ð?és and one of my PC crashes and I have to buy and setup a new PC.. I have to call Microsoft and reactivate Windows and Office, but your software would be the only one I have to buy again?
Is that really true?

Thank you,
Franz Scharf
Posted 03 Aug, 2006 01:40:26 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Franz.

We always go to meet our customers. There is no need to buy our software again. If your PC crashes, please let me know and I will zeroize your activation counter.
If you have questions regarding the 'unconditional money back', please ask about it our sales department here:
http://www.add-in-express.com/support/askus.php
Posted 03 Aug, 2006 14:41:42 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Martin.

Do you install the 'Add-in Express .NET' v2.7.1762?
Could you please send me the product key?
Posted 03 Aug, 2006 14:50:06 Top
Franz Scharf

Hi Sergey,

thank you for your reply.
If you will handle it that way I am happy.

Thank you,
Franz
P.S.: For your information: I think it's easy to spoil an activation key. I did the following: First installed OSM on a virtual machine for testing purpose. Did the activation on the Website and saved the activation code because I read I could use an already created activation code for the same PC and I was afraid of running out of activations. Then I installed OSM on the same PC where the Virtual machine (VMWare) is installed and used (pasted) the saved activation code in the activation window. The activation succeded and the installer continued, but shortly before the installer commited the install I got an error message somehow like: the secman.dll was not found in the expected folder common.. (I don't remember exactly) and did a rollback. Then I installed OSM again and did an activation without opening the website (over internet) and the installation succeeded. So I think I already used 3 activation codes although I installed it just twice. That's why I was so concerned about a crash of my PC and not be able to develop my AddIns. But so far I am happy with just 2 installations. Maybe you should test this case after your holidays and I hope my PC wont crash until you're back :-) Thank you, Franz
Posted 03 Aug, 2006 14:52:03 Top
Matt Driver

Matt

Franz, speaking for a multi-national customer who uses ADX through their company, Sergey and the team over the last 18 months have gone well over the extra mile to support me. They have helped me with both problems and ideas extremely quickly. I have never had such good support from a software company. All I can add is they will not let you down or stranded with license issues.

Matt
Posted 03 Aug, 2006 16:03:07 Top
Franz Scharf

Matt, thank you for that information. Maybe I overreacted because the license policy wasn?Â?Ð?ét very clear for me, but if you plan to change an AddIn with about 60.000 lines of code to use ADX with customers waiting for promised updates it?Â?Ð?és always a good idea to check how reliable the product and the support is to prevent a customer disaster. But I already noticed the good support although they are on holidays. So thank you again, Sergey and Matt?Â?Ð?? and happy holidays.. if possible..
Franz
Posted 03 Aug, 2006 18:07:19 Top