Missing icons in solution explorer in VS for Designer for WiX Toolset

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Missing icons in solution explorer in VS for Designer for WiX Toolset

Ronny Hogland

Hi

I have installed the Designer for Wix Toolset in VS 2019 but I can't find the icons in Solution Explorer when the Wix setup project is selected.
WiX Toolset v3.11.2 has also been installed.

Something I have missed?
Regards Ronny
Posted 15 May, 2020 08:21:56 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Ronny,

Make sure you've also installed the WiX Extension for VS 2019. In the About window of my VS 2019, that extension's name is WiX Toolset Visual Studio Extension version 1.0.0.4.

Also, it is possible that the WiX Designer panes are not drawn in VS 2019. A workaround is: open menu Tools | Options | Environment | General in the IDE and Clear the "Optimize rendering for screens with different pixel densities (requires restart)" check box.

User added an image

Please let me know if this works for you.

A fix for this issue won't be provided soon: Microsoft prevented Windows Forms controls from being used on that window type and we?Â?Ð?éll need to switch to using WPF.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 15 May, 2020 08:41:35 Top
Ronny Hogland

Hi Andrei

I'm afraid all that is already taken care of.
WiX Toolset Visual Studio Extension version 1.0.0.4 is already installed and the Optimize rendering option is already unselected.

/Ronny
Posted 15 May, 2020 08:59:31 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Ronny,

Ronny Hogland writes:
I can't find the icons in Solution Explorer when the Wix setup project is selected

When I select a WiX project in the Solution Explorer window, I can see the item View WiX Editors in the menu View. Also, I can see this item if I right-click a WiX project.

If this doesn't work for you, try to restart the IDE. Also, try to create a setup project as described in the manual; check section Your First Standard Setup Project; see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\{WiX Designer}\Docs on your development PC. Does the designer work for that project?

If not, try to install the latest updates for VS 2019.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 15 May, 2020 09:08:44 Top
Ronny Hogland

Hi Andrei

This is really weird.

I ran the example of "Your first standard setup project" In step #3, I cannot see the item View WiX Editors in the menu View at all.

I have reinstalled a couple of times.

I have VS 2017 on the same laptop and there it works just fine. It also detects both VS2017 and VS 2019 during the installation and I have selected both.

It seems like it's not recognized by VS 2019.

Regards Ronny Hogland
Posted 18 May, 2020 06:27:10 Top
Ronny Hogland

Another thing. If I go to Manage Extensions in VS 2019, I can see the "Designer for VS WiX setup project" is installed but it says "Trial"?
Posted 18 May, 2020 06:30:08 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Ronny,

Ronny Hogland writes:
If I go to Manage Extensions in VS 2019, I can see the "Designer for VS WiX setup project" is installed but it says "Trial"

Uninstall it. in VS 2017, check what WiX Designer is installed. If this is a trial extension, uninstall it. If not, uninstall it using the control Panel. Install "Designer for Visual Studio WiX Setup Projects, Professional" from https://www.add-in-express.com/downloads/wix-designer.php.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 May, 2020 07:46:23 Top
Ronny Hogland

Hi Andrei

I have now uninstalled "Designer for Visual Studio WiX Setup Projects, Professional" and checked so it's not present in either VS 2017 or VS 2019.

Installed "Designer for Visual Studio WiX Setup Projects, Professional" again but this time only marked VS2019 as install target.

Started VS 2019 and added a WIX setup project to a win project.

Still, I cannot see the item View WiX Editors in the menu View at all.

It seems like the designer is not loaded at all in VS 2019.

Then I uninstall "Designer for Visual Studio WiX Setup Projects, Professional" again.

Reinstall "Designer for Visual Studio WiX Setup Projects, Professional" selecting both vs 2017 and VS 2019 as target.

Open VS 2017 and add a wix setup project to a solution and everything works fine with View WiX Editor.

But not in VS 2019.

I have never experienced something like this before.
/Ronny
Posted 20 May, 2020 06:18:31 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Ronny,

I would like to access your PC remotely. Is this possible? If yes, I suggest using TeamViewer; in this case you'll need to send your session ID and password to the support email address; see {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt. Please make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 20 May, 2020 06:28:53 Top
Ronny Hogland

Yes, email sent with details.
/Ronny
Posted 20 May, 2020 06:40:46 Top