Wix designer uninstall custom actions

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Wix designer uninstall custom actions
Custom actions don't run on uninstall, if the custom actions primary output is set as permanent. 
Don Vangsness

Some sub-projects in my solution share the same custom actions project, so I don't want the custom actions to be deleted if one of the sub-projects is uninstalled.
Posted 01 Dec, 2017 15:15:01 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Don,

I assume your solution consists of, say, two parts; both parts deploy the same custom action executable(s) to the same target folder; uninstalling one part removes the custom action executable(s) and the second part fails to uninstall. Is my understanding correct?

What do you think about installing each part to a separate subfolder of the installation folder.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 04 Dec, 2017 04:39:44 Top
Don Vangsness

My main point is, when I mark the custom actions project primary output as permanent (File System Editor), the custom actions don't execute on uninstall. Why would that be?
Posted 04 Dec, 2017 10:02:57 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Don,

I reproduced the issue in WiX and VDProj setup projects. It seems that the issue is related to MSI. Please read the following topic devoted to this issue: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/a2dfd000-412d-413b-a898-77dbb80e2a53/uninstall-custom-action-no-longer-being-called?forum=winformssetup
Posted 05 Dec, 2017 05:43:51 Top
Don Vangsness

Thanks Sergey, that answered my question. (And gave me a workaround)
Posted 06 Dec, 2017 15:19:05 Top