3rd party installer adding too many add-ins and doesn't enable

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

3rd party installer adding too many add-ins and doesn't enable
I am using a 3rd party add in which does register the component but the add-in is never enabled 
George Kierstein

I have a simple shell add-on that I use with a 3rd party installer which triggers a MessageBox.Show for the IEModule Constructor, OnConnect, OnTabActived, etc.

The installation appears to work fine. I am following the manual deployment guide and the logs show that everything is registered - I see the popup box that shows the constructor is called.

When I open IE however the "enable extension" popup never happens and the extension never appears to have its OnConnect (or anything else) called.

In the manage add-on's menu I am seeing something wierd - 2 add-ons are added: 1 that has the name and icon and another that is the name of the dll. They both appear as enabled.

What could be causing this ?
Posted 01 Oct, 2013 21:21:18 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi George,

Is the 'Enable third-party browser extensions' option is enabled in the browser on the target PC (see the 'Internet Options->Advanced->Browsing' settings in IE)?
Posted 02 Oct, 2013 07:09:23 Top
George Kierstein

Yes, its enabled. Why would my extension show up twice in the list of add-ons ?

Thanks
G
Posted 02 Oct, 2013 13:43:52 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi George,

I suppose that your plugin contains BHO and toolbar. That is why you see two items. Please click on each item and see the 'type' field at the bottom of the 'Manage Add-ons' dialog to learn what it is. Separate items are also created for explorer bars and commands.
Posted 03 Oct, 2013 07:55:28 Top