Windows 7 IE 9 new window/tab issue relating to Favorites?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Windows 7 IE 9 new window/tab issue relating to Favorites?

Alistair Swanson

I'd created an IE add-on around 4 years ago for XP IE6 & XP IE7 that worked very well. In August last year I was made aware we'd be moving our office to Windows 7 and IE9 so I recompiled with version 8 and tested it successfully and put it through validation to get it added to our corporate desktop.

However, upon rollout a week ago we discovered that Internet Explorer often hangs when opening new tabs or windows. It can be anything from 5 seconds to 45 seconds before it finally opens after right-click -> open link in new tab (or Ctrl+left click).

It is directly related to the add-on: disabling the add-on removes the issue.
It is also directly related to having items in Favorites: deleting all favorites from IE means the delay never happens; adding in any favorites means the delay does happen; hiding/showing the favorites bar makes no difference.

We've a locked down desktop that I have very restricted access to; the add-on MSI has to go through a long validation process and it only provides functionality on a system that is very near end-of-life so it is unlikely we'd make any changes.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why add-in express accesses the favorites in case there are any profile/IE config changes that I could get deployed to avoid this issue?
Posted 22 May, 2013 05:03:03 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Alistair,

Add-in Express doesn't access Favorites when a new tab is opened. Please check if the LoadInMainProcess property of the iemodule is set to 'false'. If not, please set it to 'false' and rebuild the add-on.
Posted 22 May, 2013 05:17:05 Top
Alistair Swanson

Thanks Sergey

I don't believe I have this property set. Unfortunately i'll not be able to test it due to the cost and time involved in deploying an updated add-on to the environment where we have issues.

Regards
Posted 22 May, 2013 06:26:52 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Alistair, we changed of the default value of this property. So, it may be set to 'true' in your add-on.
Please let me know when you manage to check it in your add-on.
Posted 22 May, 2013 07:59:45 Top