Disappearing toolbar in Powerpoint

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Disappearing toolbar in Powerpoint

Richard Teller

I have happily created a toolbar (primarily for use in Powerpoint) with a button and a pop-up on it. In Powerpoint when I double-click on a chart to edit the datasheet the toolbar disappears. I presume this is because of the context change. Is there a property I can set to make sure my toolbar is always visible?

Thanks
Richard Teller
Posted 19 Sep, 2005 09:52:33 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Richard,

Such a property doesn't exist and the only thing I can advise you is to place your controls into the Standard command bar instead of your custom one.

Posted 19 Sep, 2005 11:02:04 Top

Thanks Dmitri,

That's really a pity as this scenario will be an important feature of using my plug-in.

Actually, thinking about it, what I think would achieve this is to add MSGraph to the list of target apps. I think that the disappearing toolbar is because when you double-click on a chart and the datasheet opens, Powerpoint in-place activates MSGraph. So 1) Do you agree? and 2) If you do, what is the chance of you adding MSGraph as a target app (ohaGraph)?

Richard

P.S. How do I place the controls in the Standard command bar
Posted 19 Sep, 2005 11:53:11 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Richard,

1) I agree
2) Zero. MSGraph doesn't support the COM Add-in technology

P.S. How do I place the controls in the Standard command bar

- uninstall your add-in
- change the CommandBarName property for 'Standard'
- install your add-in anew

Posted 20 Sep, 2005 08:28:38 Top
Richard Teller

Thanks Dmitri

This is probably way off line, but I have installed a commercial Application that "plugs in" to Powerpoint and installs its own small toolbar. This toolbar does not disappear under any circumstances, but it's not in the COM Add-ins list (or the Add-ins list). I suppose there's no *easy* way (being lazy) to achieve this?
Posted 20 Sep, 2005 15:36:50 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Richard,

A COM Add-in can be "invisible" if it is registered in HKLM instead of HKCU (i.e. for all users). What commercial software did you mention? Does it have a trial version (I would like to have a look)?

Posted 21 Sep, 2005 07:33:29 Top
Richard Teller

Camtasia studio is the name of the App. Among other things its a Powerpoint recorder - and very good it is too.

Incidentally
1) Putting my controls in the Standard toolbar *still* doesn't stop them disappearing when activating MSGraph.

2) Actually Camtasia studio's toolbar DOES disappear when activating MSGraph - sorry.

Looks like I'm stuffed on that score.
Posted 21 Sep, 2005 13:38:22 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Richard,

I have just tested our examples for PowerPoint and see the same behavior, i.e. a custom command bar disappears when MS Graph activates. I will try to find the solution.
Posted 22 Sep, 2005 13:09:00 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Richard,

It seems there is no solution. Unfortunately...

Posted 26 Sep, 2005 11:28:59 Top
Richard Teller

Oh dear. Well thanks for trying anyway Dmitri.
Posted 26 Sep, 2005 11:49:43 Top