Outlook Inspector Command Bar added to Word

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook Inspector Command Bar added to Word

Cory Osborn

My add-in creates a command bar that appears in mail inspectors. When this command bar appears in a new email and the user is using Word as their email editor, that command bar also gets added to the standard Word application and will appear when opening a document. Unfortunately, Outlook 2003 (where I do all my current testing) uses the Wordmail setting as the default for new installs. Because our add-in is distributed to our customers and we cannot control their internal policies, telling them to turn off Wordmail is not an acceptable option. Is there any way to easily prevent this behavior?

BTW - the converse is also true - a separate add-in written just for Word/Excel/Powerpoint will become available to the Wordmail editor in Outlook.
Posted 18 Nov, 2004 12:40:28 Top
Eugene Starostin

Hi Cory,

What version of Add-in Express do you use? Is it .NET or VCL edition?
Posted 18 Nov, 2004 13:11:43 Top
Cory Osborn

VCL 2.2 (hence the reason for posting in the VCL forum :D )

Posted 18 Nov, 2004 13:32:47 Top
Eugene Starostin

Thank you for your quick reply.
We will try to reproduce that you described and will let you know about the result and a solution tomorrow.
Posted 18 Nov, 2004 13:36:25 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Is there any way to easily prevent this behavior?

There is no way. When MS Word is set as the default email editor the Inspector.CommandBars property operates with command bars collection of MS Word, not Outlook. This behavior is by default and nothing can be done here.

BTW - the converse is also true - a separate add-in written just for Word/Excel/Powerpoint will become available to the Wordmail editor in Outlook.

Do you mean a separate add-in written for Word AND Excel AND Powerpoint? If it is so, that's true, all MS Word command bars are available in Outlook's inspector window when Word is the default email editor.

Note. Outlook 2000 with Word 2000 as a default email editor has the bug that doesn't allow to create custom command bars and controls.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;Q201095#2

Posted 19 Nov, 2004 04:57:00 Top

Thanks for checking.

Do you mean a separate add-in written for Word AND Excel AND Powerpoint? If it is so, that's true, all MS Word command bars are available in Outlook's inspector window when Word is the default email editor.

I should have just said Word - my add-in supports all three, but obviously one written just for Excel or just for Powerpoint wouldn't appear in the WordMail editor. :D
Posted 19 Nov, 2004 09:42:21 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

It is what I expected to hear. :D
Posted 19 Nov, 2004 10:01:59 Top