Custom XLL Addin clashes with Bloomberg RTD

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Custom XLL Addin clashes with Bloomberg RTD

bbianco

I work for a financial institution and we use Bloomberg extensively.

When I create a simple Excel XLL (non-RTD) addin I get a Bloomberg RTD server can not be loaded when I start Excel.

When I unistall my addin the Bloomberg RTD error goes away.

How do I get rid of the addin clash with Bloomberg?

Thanks,

Byron
Posted 22 Feb, 2011 14:17:02 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Byron,

How can I reproduce the issue on my PC? Could you please describe the required steps? May be a sample add-in project?

BTW What version and build number of Add-in Express do you use?
Posted 23 Feb, 2011 04:44:42 Top
bbianco

Hi Eugene,
The problem is that unless you have Bloomberg installed you can't reproduce the error.

The Microsoft Visual Basic Error dialog says:
Run-time error ?Â?Ð?è1004?Â?Ð?é
RTD method of WorksheetFunction class failed.

The error message only appears when I have both the Bloomberg add-in and my custom XLL add-in installed at the same time.

1. Do you have a light version of the add-in Express that doesn?Â?Ð?ét have any references to RTD?
2. Do you have any settings in add-in Express that explicitly turns off any references or interfaces to RTD?
3. Can you recommend another way to create a COM add-in that doesn?Â?Ð?ét clash with other add-ins or existing RDT servers?

(Note the regular add-in Express COM add-in also clashes with another COM add-in. That is why we used the XLL add-in)

Thanks,

Byron
Posted 23 Feb, 2011 08:30:21 Top
bbianco

Hi Eugene,
Note we are using Excel 2003 and add-in Express 6.3.3052.2005

Thanks,

Byron
Posted 23 Feb, 2011 08:32:58 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Byron,

I believe that Add-in Express based COM add-ins don't clash with other add-ins or existing RTD servers. Anyway, may I get any trial version of the problematic third party add-in for testing on my side?

Did you try to contact Bloomberg developers? May be the cause of the lies in the code of Bloomberg add-in (not Add-in Express)?
Posted 23 Feb, 2011 11:27:53 Top