Addins no longer work with .NET 2.0 Redistributable Installed

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Addins no longer work with .NET 2.0 Redistributable Installed
ADX addins developed with VS2003 won't load on machines with .NET 2.0 
Ryan Farley

Sergey,

I am fine with having two versions of my addin for .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 (not ideal, but I could live with it). However, that leads to the question of when will ADX be available for .NET 2.0 so I can develop a .NET 2.0 version of the addin?

Using the config file for Outlook for force supported runtime does work (I guess something was hanging around in memory before, after a reboot it ended up working), but as Roland mentioned, I'm not sure that is something I can ask of my clients. But at least it gets it working again on my dev machine for now.

I look forward to your findings with those other .NET 1.1 addins that work with .NET 2.0 installed - and when we might expect a .NET 2.0 version of ADX.

Thanks,
-Ryan
Posted 02 Nov, 2005 09:39:55 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Roland, you are correct. The Word and Excel versions of add-ins work fine regarless if .NET Framework 2.0 is installed or not.
What do you think about the installation of Add-in Express for both VS 2003 and VS 2005 at the same time? Will it help to develop add-ins more effectively for both .NET Framework versions? In this case you could have the basic code for both add-ins and change it in one place.
Posted 02 Nov, 2005 11:18:46 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Ryan, I am working on ADX for VS 2005 now. I think we will publish it next week. Unfortunately Microsoft didn't fix all bugs in the Setup project Object Model and ADX for VS 2005 will be published without the 'automatically generated setup project' feature. However I will add the detailed information to the ADX wizard about how to create the setup manually in VS.
Posted 02 Nov, 2005 11:28:59 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Ryan, at last I can force Outlook to load an add-in without using the config file. However to make it possible I had to register ADX locally in the add-in target folder (not in the GAC). I think that this is not good solution as well as the config file because there are several ADX based add-ins can be installed on a PC at the same time.
One more thing. ADX based add-in consist of two assemblies. Namely, the add-in and ADX (the universal add-in with many dependent assemblies itself). The add-ins which you have mentioned about consist of one assembly. I think it can be a reason why ADX add-ins written under .NET v.1.1 are not loaded without the config file when both 1.1 and 2.0 versions of framework installed.
Posted 02 Nov, 2005 16:44:40 Top
Roland Smeets

Hi Sergey,

On the short term, it is absolutely imperative that all add-ins work on the .NET 1.1 Framework (even if 2.0 is installed).

Most developing on the 2.0 Framework will not happen in the near future due to the fact that not many people are not willing to port existing code to the 2.0 Framework.

But when porting is to occur, it would be preferable that all code can be used on both Frameworks. On the other hand, many code is specific to the Host application and not to the add-in itself, so copying the code to a new project would not be so problematic, since mostly you only need to reattach the eventhandlers.

If I can help in any way, let me know.
Posted 03 Nov, 2005 02:09:32 Top
Andrew Dakin

So doesn't this mean everyone with 1.1 based Outlook add-ins is going to be in real trouble once users start getting the 2.0 framework on thier computers? What good options do we have? Thanks.
Posted 15 Nov, 2005 00:36:37 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Andrew.

I think you need to use the configuration file to switch between two versions of Framework. You can read more about it here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnnetdep/html/netfxcompat.asp
I hope Microsoft will fix this problem in future.
By the way, there is a new update for Word and Excel on the following website: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1B0BFB35-C252-43CC-8A2A-6A64D6AC4670&displaylang=en
Install this update if you have experienced any problems with Word and Excel after you have installed VSTO 2005.
Posted 15 Nov, 2005 04:38:11 Top
Ted Morris

I was contemplating a purchase of ADX until I read through this topic (and other similar topics in this forum). I'm still missing what the exact solution is to get ADX to work in the general case. Please help.

If we use .NET 2.0 to distribute our ADX add-in, this may break existing add-ins that use 1.1, correct? This is unacceptable for our customers. If we use 1.1 to distribute our ADX add-in, and our users install 2.0, our add-in breaks. Trying to solve this problem by adding the config file to Outlook is not a solution either, since that would then break any add-ins that use 2.0. All of these senarios and proposed solutions are unacceptable for our customers. So please help me out here and explain what the exact "general case" solution is. Compiling two versions of our add-in, one for 1.1 and one for 2.0, is not only a development and QA headache for us, but is also not a robust solution (the user could install .NET 2.0 after we install our 1.1 add-in, for example ... this would be a CS nightmare). Without a reasonable solution, purchase and use of this ADX product would be a disaster for us and our customers. Am I missing something here? I really hope I am ...

Thanks, Ted.
Posted 01 Feb, 2006 01:12:57 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Ted.

The problem of compatibililty of Framework v1.1 and v2.0 is not the Add-in Express .NET problem. We also have two separate projects for Add-in Express .NET with the same source code, one for .NET v.1.1 and another for v.2.0. In order to these two projects share the code I use the condition compilation. You can also use the condition compilation to support both Frameworks. And, you can make one installation package for both versions of the add-in.
Posted 01 Feb, 2006 10:34:50 Top
Ted Morris

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for the quick answer, but this doesn't answer my questions above. If I build two versions of my add-in, and install the 1.1 version on user A's computer (because they only have .NET 1.1 installed at the time), then sometime down the road user A decides to install .NET 2.0 beside 1.1, what happens? My add-in breaks, correct? What is the workaround for this? Have them run my installer again? This is really unacceptable on many levels.

Also, is there any other solution besides building two versions of my add-in? Please describe the EXACT steps Add-In express recommends for installing and building an ADX-based add-in, assuming general-case user senarios (some of which I describe above). Or are you saying there isn't an acceptable solution and we will endup with nightmare CS issues (like the ones I describe in this post and the one above) if we use your product?

Ted.
Posted 01 Feb, 2006 10:55:39 Top