VSTO installer works on 1 PC but not on others

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

VSTO installer works on 1 PC but not on others
VSTO install 
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Paul,

1. We can't understand how do you create the installer. If it is a setup project created by Add-in Express, then you can right-click the setup project item in the Solution Explorer, choose the Properties item in the context menu, and click the Prerequisites button. In this way, you can add .NET Framework to your installer. In the same dialog, you must add VSTO Runtime. If my assumption is wrong, please clarify whether you use ClickOnce via Build | Publish VSTO Project menu item, or via the Publish tab in the add-in project's Properties dialog. The first one is the Add-in Express way, the second one is a VSTO way.

And as much as we like this client, we don't want to make a site visit every time we update the app.. it's not like their office is somewhere exotic....

Does it mean that you want to auto update your add-in? Is it ClickOnce after all?

If it is ClickOnce, namely, Add-in Express ClickOnce, then you need to read another chapter in the manual. Find "Add-in Express ClickOnce Projects" in the .pdf.

If however you need to have an auto-updatable add-in and you just don't know which way to choose, read "Add-in Express ClickOnce Projects" in the .pdf. The .pdf is located in {Add-in Express install folder}\Docs\adxvsto.pdf.

As you can see there are too many IFs above. Please help us to diminish their number and we will try to help you.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+2),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 27 Oct, 2008 09:33:31 Top
Paul O'Neill

Hi guys

From the discussion so far, it would appear that ClickOnce will give us and our client the best benefits so lets aim for that.

I followed the steps in the "Creating Setup Projects Manually" section in the Developer's guide but even on the development PC it appears in the COMs Addins list but I don't have any toolbars until I rebooted!

On another machine it doesn't appear at all, even after rebooting, but when we go back to the COM Addins section we get the error message "Load Behaviour - Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-in"

Is there any way to diagnose the nature of this error?

Problem is this is such new stuff (ADX) that we don't really know where to start debugging, or even how...

Hope you can help
Paul
Posted 04 Nov, 2008 05:07:56 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Paul,

Do you have Adobe plug-in installed? Please check HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\{plug-in mame}. On my PC, its name is PDFMaker.OfficeAddin. If its LoadBehavior is 3, set it to 0 and test your add-in anew.

Is there any way to diagnose the nature of this error?

You need to test your add-in. It looks like an exception occurs at add-in start-up.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+2),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 04 Nov, 2008 07:33:35 Top