User profile assembly cache .NET add-ins

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

User profile assembly cache .NET add-ins

Joost Verdaasdonk

Hi Sergey,

Sorry for my late reply I've been on vacation. :)
I fixed this bug in the latest version of Add-in Express. What version of Add-in Express do you use?
I suppose you copy the latest version of adxloader.dll after you install a new Add-in Express version.

We are still using the 2.8 version of add-in express so that explains it. We'll be using the new version in the first Major upgrade of our program to come.
Would it be possible to rebuild the Shadow copy assemblies by use of some .NET class? Perhaps in a separate executable I can distribute with my app?
What do you mean?

We want to know if it is possible to write a program you can execute on it's own that will do the following:
* Regenerate all Shadow copy assemblies used on the machine our add-in is installed.
* This means in all the user profiles of the users that use our add-in.

I've been exploring the AppDomainSetup Class of .NET but I haven't had any luck in finding the right methods to get the job done.

So basically we want to create a separate application that will refresh all shadow copy assemblies from our add-in to make sure everybody is getting/using the right assemblies in the add-in project.

I hope I've made my question more clear.
Thank you for your thoughts.
Regards,
ManualMaster Development
Posted 27 Aug, 2007 09:08:32 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Joost.

We want to know if it is possible to write a program you can execute on it's own that will do the following:
* Regenerate all Shadow copy assemblies used on the machine our add-in is installed.
* This means in all the user profiles of the users that use our add-in.

I am afraid no. Using the AppDomainSetup class you can only disable the Shadow copying.

So basically we want to create a separate application that will refresh all shadow copy assemblies from our add-in to make sure everybody is getting/using the right assemblies in the add-in project.

Actually this task should be done by .NET Framework runtimes. The AppDomain class always makes the 'shadow copy' of all assemblies in an application. You just need to increment the assembly version so that the AppDomain class will create a new 'shadow copy'.
Posted 28 Aug, 2007 06:53:46 Top
Joost Verdaasdonk

Actually this task should be done by .NET Framework runtimes. The AppDomain class always makes the 'shadow copy' of all assemblies in an application. You just need to increment the assembly version so that the AppDomain class will create a new 'shadow copy'.

Hi Sergey,

Thank you for your answer.

This is exactly the problem for minor updates we don't update our assembly version number because we have a client/server application and that would mean we always have to update the server as well. (otherwise assembly version conflict)

Oh well I'll try to write something custom then to get the job done.

Thank you for your time.
Regards,
ManualMaster Development
Posted 29 Aug, 2007 03:40:30 Top