Peculiar Outlook Addin Appointment Problem

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Peculiar Outlook Addin Appointment Problem

Alex Abramov

Rick, Sergey

I've had a similar problem. I would create several custom properties (in Appointments) and they were visible in Categories view, however, when trying to get them out of an Outlook.Appoitment item, the property is non existant. You can create it again the first time and then you'll have access to it until you close the inspector, however, the resets the value and is useless.
Since I use only Exchange, I use WebDAV to get those props, also, another way is to access the MAPI props using the MAPI32.DLL InterOp. However, I hope these props would be available using ADX's new Mapi proprety accessor, but I haven't figured that one out yet.

Let me know if you figure anything out, as it would simplify and streamline my code. Conversly, I can give you more details on using WebDAV to get the props if you like

Alex
Posted 12 Apr, 2007 17:31:11 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Alex.

The current version of the MAPI component doesn't provide any methods to access MAPI properties. I will add this feature in the next version.

I have just added a property to an appointment item in my Outlook with Exchange account. It works properly and I can access the property after I close the item. Could you please send me the code. I will test it on my PC.
Posted 13 Apr, 2007 11:03:05 Top
Rick Koch

Sergey,

Be sure to modify the body text of the appointment during the same event in which you add the property. Also, leave the reminder set on the appointment. After you snooze, dismiss, or close the reminder prompt, open the inspector and then immediately try to close it without changing it. If the inspector prompts you to save changes (even though you haven't made any changes) then you have duplicated the problem -- try to inspect the property in code on an item change event at this point and you will find that the properties you've added cannot be detected.

I am in the process of lining up a Microsoft resource to look at this. If I make any progress I will let you know.

Rick
Posted 16 Apr, 2007 11:07:58 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Rick.

For some reason it works on my PC. Probably I do something in different way.
Posted 16 Apr, 2007 13:34:06 Top
Rick Koch

Just FYI:

The problem does not appear to happen when stepping through in the debugger, though it does happen if you run straight through.

Microsoft has a copy of my event code, and they are now looking at this. They do not have the ADX code. The engineer I worked with had never heard of this problem.
Posted 09 May, 2007 15:14:09 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Rick.

I can also test your code on my PC. Please send it to me and I will try to help.
Posted 10 May, 2007 08:03:56 Top
Rick Koch

Microsoft was not able to duplicate this in VSTO, even after I demonstrated it on my PC. They have not tested it with Add-In Express, so we are still unable to rule it out as a possible factor.

I sent the same event code to your support address.
Posted 10 May, 2007 14:32:43 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Rick.

Thank you for the code.

Posted 11 May, 2007 10:07:58 Top