That's what is more important than anything else

DOT files in Word
Saving DOT files 
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Posted 13 Mar, 2007 06:05:26 Top
Michael McMahon

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for your response. I have updated my solution to use the version of the ADX components you suggested however the issue still occurs.

It clearly seems to be something related to the add-in-express component because without them installed I don't get prompted to save the .dot file but with them installed I do.

Regards,

Mike
Posted 14 Mar, 2007 02:36:22 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Mike.

Are you sure that both the Normal.dot and the document template don't have the 'ReadOnly' attribute? I have just tested this situation with the standard Word templates and I can't reproduce the issue?
You can also send me the project. I will test it on my PC.
Posted 14 Mar, 2007 06:42:12 Top
Michael McMahon

Hi Sergey,

No the templates weren't read only. But after spending a bit more time on this I think I've managed to resolve the problem.

I found an article on the web were someone was having a similar problem. Basically what I have done is to use the Word API to tell Word that the attached template is saved.

I.e. objDoc.AttachedTemplate.Saved = True

I think we have to do this explicitly because we're hooking into the DocumentBeforeClose event and intercepting the Word save.

In addition to this I now hook into the DocumentBeforeSave event like this (by the way I also do this in the DocumentBeforeClose event along with quite a bit of other functionality):

Private Sub ObjWordEvents_DocumentBeforeSave(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As AddinExpress.MSO.ADXHostBeforeSaveEventArgs) Handles ObjWordEvents.DocumentBeforeSave
On Error Resume Next
Dim Cancel As Boolean = False
Dim objDoc As Object = objApp.ActiveDocument

objDoc.AttachedTemplate.Saved = True
End Sub

That seems to prevent the problem.

Posted 15 Mar, 2007 18:04:59 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Mike.

From my side, I will try to reproduce the issue and probably I will manage to do something in the Add-in Express code.
Posted 16 Mar, 2007 09:44:01 Top
Michael McMahon

Thanks Sergey,

Just following up here on the solution that I posted the other day. I have had to modify this code a little bit so that the user can still save changes that they make to .dot files.

The code now looks like this:

'*****************************************************************************************
'* Name: ObjWordEvents_DocumentBeforeSave
'* Purpose: tell word not to prompt the user to save the attached template when they save
'* a document
'* Inputs: see method signature
'*****************************************************************************************
Private Sub ObjWordEvents_DocumentBeforeSave(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As AddinExpress.MSO.ADXHostBeforeSaveEventArgs) Handles ObjWordEvents.DocumentBeforeSave
On Error Resume Next
Dim Cancel As Boolean = False
Dim objDoc As Object = objApp.ActiveDocument

'Check to make sure that the file is not a template
If GetDocType(objDoc.Name, True) <> "dot" Then
objDoc.AttachedTemplate.Saved = True
End If
End Sub
Posted 18 Mar, 2007 20:17:23 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Mike.

Thank you .
Posted 19 Mar, 2007 09:02:08 Top
Ben Van Mulders

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the code.
But with me it still asks to save my template file :(
(using Office 2007)

edit:
My bad.
Hadn't added it to the DocumentBeforeClose event (should read the whole post before posting) :-)
Thnx again
Posted 19 Mar, 2007 09:25:33 Top