Add-in Express for Visual Studio 7.1 - it doesn't work at all

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-in Express for Visual Studio 7.1 - it doesn't work at all

Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Artur, could you please upgrade Add-in Express up to v2.8? I think it should fix the issue. You just need to download the installer and reinstall the product:
http://www.add-in-express.com/downloads/adxnet-old.php
Posted 26 Feb, 2007 09:17:28 Top
Artur Nowocin

Thank you very much for that link. New version works for me and I hope it won't stop working some day;).
But I've got one question, 'cause in out licence is writeen the we have a licens key for "Add-in Express .NET & Premium Support Service" and I downloaded to packages from the web site. Add-in Express .NET, Premium Suite 2.8 and Add-in Express .NET 2.8 but the first one didn't install. It was installing and then I got and error message that some DLL file is missing. I didn't write down when this error occurred and why so I'm reinstalling Add-in Express to see what it was. I'll report in few minutes.
Posted 26 Feb, 2007 09:57:06 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Artur, can you please send me the product key (by email) that you have used to intall the Add-in Express Premium product? I will check it.
Posted 26 Feb, 2007 10:04:24 Top
Artur Nowocin

Ok, I've already sent you the e-mail and error message.
Posted 26 Feb, 2007 10:07:37 Top
Artur Nowocin

Fortunately new Add-in Express version works and I managed to found out why my older addins didn't work. You were right, it's "Shared add-in support update for .NET Framework 2.0" vs2005-kb908002-enu-x86.exe which cause problem. I think it also install some Office 2003 update and that's why removing it doesn't help. But also installing only office2003-KB907417-FullFile-ENU.exe stops my old addins written in Add-in Express 2.2. Unfortunately you can't remove this update.
But what concerns me is that I can't write addins in VS2005 without one of those updates, but on the other hand our old addin writen in Add-in Express stops working. It's a problem 'cause it's very big application. So I have a question. How can I convert it to Add-in Express 2.8? I think it would be best solution in my case, 'cause not installing those update stops me from using Visual Studio 2005 to write addins and I prefer to use this IDE.

PS. Where can I find documentation etc. for Add-in Express up to 2.8. I doubt that Development Guide that is added to Add-in Express 2.8 is new enought. It says supported IDE are VS .NET 2003 but not 2005 even though it works with VS 2005. It confuses me.
Is there one place where I can find all examples? Searching through forum I found examples that I couldn't find on this page.
Posted 28 Feb, 2007 06:22:18 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Artur, there is no need to do something with the currect version of your add-in. The Add-in Express based add-ins written with Add-in Express v2.8 and later in VS 2003 should work properly in .NET Framework v2.0 environment. You just need to rebuild the add-in solution. Please test it.

As to the documentation and examples, you find them in the Add-in Express installation directory.
Posted 28 Feb, 2007 08:44:38 Top
Artur Nowocin

I rebuild my project and everything seems to by fine. I can Register addin from VS2003 and it works.
But I have a problem with setup project. I build installation package, run it and everything seems to be fine expect that add-in won't load and there's no new entry in registry.
Priory to that I build new project and copied all files to it. This time making installation package throws exception:

Exception Source:      AddinExpress.Install
Exception Type:        System.ApplicationException
Exception Message:     An error occurred during the add-in registration process.
Exception Target Site: InstallAddin

---- Stack Trace ----
   AddinExpress.Install.ADXProjectInstaller.InstallAddin(addinFullName As String, adxAssemblyName As String, check As String, gac As String, regasm As String)
       AddinExpress.Install.dll: N 00245 (0xF5) JIT

I have to mention that in this "new" project I didn't include all files to setup project. I omitted one files, because adding it adds another one namely msxml.dll which stops building setup project (it says sth like this file is protected and I should remove it and it's not possible). But setup in not my prority.

The biggest problem that I'd like to solve is debugging Add-in Express projects. An error occurs when I try to debug any Add-in Express project. There's error with office application and it say I should disable addin. In disabled items windows it shows addinname(mscoree.dll).

OK, this error occurs if I have addin registered an try to debug but if I try to debug my addin when it's unregistered it doesn't show up in MS Word.

I tried host configuration for addin, but it didn't help.

Edit: I checked on another computer and debugging works and now I know that addin has to be registered to debug. But in my case I get an error as I mention above.
Posted 01 Mar, 2007 08:18:29 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Artur.

You should add all files to the setup project and then just exclude the msxml.dll.

The biggest problem that I'd like to solve is debugging Add-in Express projects. An error occurs when I try to debug any Add-in Express project. There's error with office application and it say I should disable addin. In disabled items windows it shows addinname(mscoree.dll).

Did you set the 'v1.1.4322' value for Word applicaton in the 'Host Configuration' dialog?
Posted 01 Mar, 2007 10:43:39 Top
Artur Nowocin

Did you set the 'v1.1.4322' value for Word applicaton in the 'Host Configuration' dialog?

Yes I did, but in my cause it didn't help yesterday... Weird because for now reason at all debuggig started working.
Thanks for all your help so far.
Posted 02 Mar, 2007 03:39:47 Top
logikonline

I ran this update a week ago "office2003-KB907417-FullFile-ENU.exe" - and it also stopped my dev machine from running the add-ins in debug mode within VS2003 BUT they run is I execute Outlook separately.

regards,
Dave
Posted 02 Mar, 2007 17:09:31 Top