Cannot get Outlook Add-in to Register.

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Cannot get Outlook Add-in to Register.

Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

No, this isn't. Send it to the support email address; see readme.txt.

Regards from Poland (CEST),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 05 Jul, 2022 14:19:28 Top
Chris Ducharme

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you until now.

I couldn't get my Add-in to register in any way. I changed the GUID of the app, and now I can install via the windows setup program. But I cannot get the app to run when i am debugging (using the Add-in>Register menu). When I try this, the my add-in stays in the Disabled Application add-ins. If I activate it with Go button for Com Add-ins. Nothing happens. (It stays in the Disabled Application Add-in section.)

I can debug using the IDE - Debug->Attach to process-> Outlook

When i go into the File->Options->Add-ins, select the add-in and press the Add-in Options button, whenever I hit a line in code Me.OnStatusChange(), I get an error message.

frmPropertyPage error: the add-in has fired an exception. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

Any suggestions of how I can get the debugging working directly, so I do not have to create an install, reinstall the reattach for debugging?
And how to get rid of the error message.

Thanks

Chris
Posted 14 Jul, 2022 12:24:35 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Chris,

I suggest that you investigate this as follows.

You start with uninstalling the add-in and unregistering the project. Then check that the add-in is missing in the host application's UI: check File | Options | Add-ins, File | Info | Manage COM Add-ins and the COM Add-ins dialog. Then install your add-in and check the registry keys created as described in section Locating COM add-ins in the registry; see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC. Pay attention: that section - below, I refer to the information it provides - describes the registry on a 32-bit machine while you have a 64-bit machine and thus you have other registry keys created; these registry keys allow your add-in to be loaded by a 32-bit or 64-bit Outlook so that the add-in loads even if the user installs a different Outlook bitness.

After you study the keys, uninstall the add-in.

Now register the project and compare the keys. Pay attention: your project should be built in the Debug mode and, accordingly, the default value of the InProceServer32 registry value points to the bin\Debug folder of your project's output folder. Also, this value points to the _correct bitness_ of adxloader (either adxloader.dll or adxloader64.dll). That is, if the registry key is located in a branch responsible for loading 32-bit add-ins on a 64-bit machine, the default value of InProcServer32 points to adxloader.dll, not to adxloader64.dll.

If your add-in gets disabled, check File | Info | Manage COM Add-ins: there may be an explanation of this. Similarly, open the COM Add-ins dialog, select your add-in and check the reason why the add-in is unchecked. Finally, look into the add-in key - in terms of the above-pointed section - what's the LoadBehavior of your add-in? For the add-in to load, it should be 3. If there's an issue while loading the add-in, Office can set it to 2. If, it is 3 and your add-in doesn't load, check File | Info | Manage COM Add-ins - your add-in may be blocked. Finally, open File | Options | Add-ins and use the dropdown at the bottom of the page to open the Disabled Items dialog.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 15 Jul, 2022 04:38:56 Top
Chris Ducharme

Andrei

I finally got it working again. I had to go through the Registry, and delete almost anything. Then i rebuild the Add-in from scratch.

Now, there is only one problem remaining.

When I am in the Add-in Options screen. (File->Options->Add-in->Add-in Options button, when i make an update to an option and call the Me.OnStatusChange(), i get the following error.

"frmPropertyPage error: the add-in has fired an exception. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

How would i go about tracking down what is causing this error.

Thanks

Chris
Posted 21 Jul, 2022 14:24:24 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Chris,

I reproduce this issue on Outlook Version 2208 (Build 15513.20004 Click-to-Run) Beta Channel - see File | Office Account. What Outlook are you using?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 22 Jul, 2022 02:44:04 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Chris,

We also reproduce this issue on Outlook Version 2207 (Build 16.0.15427.20114 Click-to-Run) 64-bit. We assume this is induced by Outlook.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 22 Jul, 2022 09:50:32 Top
Chris Ducharme

Microsoft® Outlook® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2206 Build 16.0.15330.20260) 64-bit
Posted 22 Jul, 2022 09:57:10 Top
Chris Ducharme

Is this something that we have to wait for Microsoft to fix? Or is this something you at Add-in Express are fixing? We are starting to get clients complaining.
Posted 23 Jul, 2022 10:58:19 Top
Chris Ducharme

Is there any info about this?

Thanks

Chris.
Posted 26 Jul, 2022 12:01:47 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Chris,

No news yet. Once I have something, I'll post it here.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 27 Jul, 2022 04:06:08 Top