Updater

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Updater
Update timing on excel AddIn not working 
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

It should work. The point is: it expects to have different ProductCode values in version_info.xml.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 06 Dec, 2019 07:15:45 Top
Michael Kaden

Dear Andrei,

thank you very much, it works perfect now.

kind regards & have a nice weekend.

Michael
Posted 06 Dec, 2019 13:12:12 Top
Michael Kaden

Dear Andrei,

thanks again, however I made 2 more observations, perhaps you can help.

1.) When Excel is open and the update wants to start the user is prompted to close Excel. After that we get the following notification:

[img]http://http://www.alerasoftlib.de/Images/NewVer.jpg[/img]

But clicking on the text or the icon there is NO reaction, only after some time the update starts with or without clicking. This can confuse the user.I there a way to get some action when the user clicks the notification?

2.) When the update starts there are long periods (10 - 60 sec) where nothing happens. A slow internet connection cannot be the reason as the normal installation does not show that behaviour. To ensure that the cause is not a temporary internet slow down, we did both on different machines, Windows Versions and Internet connections. On my workplace I have 400 Mbps up and down. Do you have an idea why this is so and how to rectify it. Times where nothing happens can create problems as users are generally inpatient and if nothing happens they start to press all sort of keys and buttons. Unfortunately so. Would a solution be that the previous windows only closes after the next Window is fully loaded?

Thank you very much & have a relaxing weekend

Michael
Michael
Posted 07 Dec, 2019 05:48:32 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Michael,

What is the state of the "Allow silent updates (prerequisites will be ignored)" check box (see Deployment | Updates in the Preferences dialog)?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 09 Dec, 2019 07:57:17 Top
Michael Kaden

Dear Andrei,

this check box is not checked.

Thank you & kind regards

Michael
Posted 09 Dec, 2019 09:46:14 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Michael,

Michael Kaden writes:
When Excel is open and the update wants to start the user is prompted to close Excel. After that we get the following notification:

Could you please be more specific? The updater starts when Excel starts. That prompt can't be shown before the user initiates the update.

Michael Kaden writes:
But clicking on the text or the icon there is NO reaction, only after some time the update starts with or without clicking. This can confuse the user.I there a way to get some action when the user clicks the notification
?

Clicking the notification shows an Add-in Express window with information about the new update. The update isn't applied before the user confirms this.

Michael Kaden writes:
When the update starts there are long periods (10 - 60 sec) where nothing happens.

The updater doesn't check for updates immdietely: the user might start the host application and close it in a second.

Michael,

Your explanations leave room for interpretation. Could you please capture a video showing what you describe? Ideally, you could use a test add-in for this. When performing the tests, make sure you have only one add-in enabled. Also, before and after you perform your tests, make sure there's no extra EXCEL.EXE hanging in processes.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 10 Dec, 2019 05:15:41 Top
Michael Kaden

Dear Andrei,

thank you, I send you an email to adx.support as now another (old) problem came up.

kind regards

Michael
Posted 10 Dec, 2019 11:06:34 Top