Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Insallation Problem
AddIn is not shown in Excel 
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Michael Kaden writes:
strange as UAC is set to OFF in my PostBuildEvent

The manual says that adxpatch.exe "turns off the dialog asking for administrative privileges; the UAC dialog pops up when a non-admin user runs the .MSI installer that the setup project generates.".

Michael Kaden writes:
The alera Program does not show in Programs & Features in the Control Panel

It looks like the installer fails and rolls back. You could modify the Rollback custom action so that it creates an a log file named differently (e.g. adxregistrator2.log) or located in a different location. BTW, the fail should be reflected in Events Viewer.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 14 Oct, 2019 07:50:54 Top
Michael Kaden

Thank you Andrei,

Where does my client find the Event Viewer.

What do I have to change in

Rollback:
adxregistrator.exe
/uninstall="alera.dll" /privileges=user /generateLogFile=false

like this:
Rollback:

adxregistrator.exe
/uninstall="alera.dll" /privileges=user /generateLogFile=true

but how do I specify the name and path of the logfile to be created?

thank you and kind regards

Michael
Posted 14 Oct, 2019 08:23:57 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Michael Kaden writes:
Where does my client find the Event Viewer.

Use the Search field in Control Panel; see top tight of the Control Panel window.

Michael Kaden writes:
how do I specify the name and path of the logfile to be created?

See section "Get details about add-in registration/unregistration" in the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Oct, 2019 08:36:11 Top
Michael Kaden

Dear Andrei,

thank you.

I think to lead the client (other language) through the Event Viewer will be very difficult.

So I prefer to generate a logfile using the /logFileLocation switch in the adxregistrator Custom Action Rollback properties.

I was really looking hard in your manual and also through the forums and Google, but could not fined any syntax examples. I would like to place the log file into the AppData to make sure that the client has access.

Would this be the right syntax:

/logFileLocation = [LocalAppDataFolder][Manufacturer]\[ProductName]\RollBack.log

I doubt very much, so perhaps you can just help me with the right syntax. I cannot do it on my machine by trial and error as I cannot force RollBack.

Or am I missing something here completely.

thank you and best regards

Michael
Posted 14 Oct, 2019 10:19:50 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Michael,

Here's what works for me in a test project:

/uninstall="[TARGETDIR]$(var.MyAddin136.TargetFileName)" /privileges=user /generateLogFile=true /logFileLocation="%Temp%MyFoldermyLog.txt"

Andrei Smolin
Posted 15 Oct, 2019 01:17:18 Top
Michael Kaden

Thank you Andrei, that worked.

To test it, I used the "Custom Action - Install"

Install:
adxregistrator.exe
/install="alera.dll" /privileges=user /generateLogFile=true /logFileLocation="%LocalAppDataFolder%\Temp\alera Thermal\Rollback.log"

However I would also like to test it in a Rollback situation. Is there any way that I create a Rollback? Cancelling the installation half way through does not do it.

I have put all report files in a special directory so they are easier to find as the Temp folder is very full. I tested it for Install & Uninstall and it works well.

Install:
adxregistrator.exe
/install="alera.dll" /privileges=user /generateLogFile=true /logFileLocation="%LocalAppDataFolder%\aleralogs\adxregistrator.log"

Rollback:
adxregistrator.exe
/uninstall="alera.dll" /privileges=user/generateLogFile=true /logFileLocation="%LocalAppDataFolder%\aleralogs\adxregistrator.log"

Uninstall:
adxregistrator.exe
/uninstall="alera.dll" /privileges=user /generateLogFile=true /logFileLocation="%LocalAppDataFolder%\aleralogs\adxregistrator.log"

Where can I change the logFilelocation of adxloader.log?

Thank you very much again & kind regards

Michael
Posted 15 Oct, 2019 07:28:16 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Michael Kaden writes:
I tested it for Install & Uninstall and it works well.

Use different names for adxregistrator's logs on Install, Uninstall and Rollback. As to adxloader log, see section Get details about add-in loading.

I wouldn't test the Rollback: the action should be the same as for uninstall with a different file name.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 15 Oct, 2019 08:20:09 Top
Michael Kaden

Thank you Andrei,

I assume that there I no entry for LogFileLocation in the adxloader.manifest.dll properties

so I changed the adxloader.manifest to

<loaderSettings generateLogFile="true" shadowCopyEnabled="false" privileges="user" minOfficeVersionSupported="14" />

<LogFileLocation>%LocalAppDataFolder%\aleralogs\adxloader2.log</LogFileLocation>

But it still writes to AppData/Temp/alera Thermal/adxloader.log

So what is the correct syntax?

Thank you and kind regards

Michael

Michael
Posted 15 Oct, 2019 09:26:14 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Michael,

That section contains an example. It shows that the logFileLocation element is included in the loaderSettings element. You should have used:

<loaderSettings generateLogFile="true" shadowCopyEnabled="false" privileges="user" minOfficeVersionSupported="14">
<LogFileLocation>%LocalAppDataFolder%leralogsdxloader2.log</LogFileLocation> 
</loaderSettings>

Andrei Smolin
Posted 15 Oct, 2019 09:31:30 Top
Michael Kaden

Dear Andrei,

thank you for your prompt reply, did that

<loaderSettings generateLogFile="true" shadowCopyEnabled="false" privileges="user" minOfficeVersionSupported="14">
		<LogFileLocation>%LocalAppDataFolder%leralogsdxloader2.log</LogFileLocation>
	</loaderSettings>

Sorry when I put it in code, it changes from

<LogFileLocation>%LocalAppDataFolder%\aleralogs\adxloader2.log</LogFileLocation>
</loaderSettings>

My code has some extra "\" but I think that is ok, as it works for the other logfiles?

But it still writes to AppData/Temp/alera Thermal/adxloader.log

adxloader2.log nowhere to be found.

Thank you and kind regards

Michael
Posted 15 Oct, 2019 10:37:42 Top