Installation Problems

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Installation Problems
Failed to copy version_info.xml 
Michael Kaden

Dear Andrei,

thank you. We finally got hold of the client with WIN 10 Office 365 & Chrome who confirmed that he could do the installation. The culprit was, that after he downloaded the installation file with Chrome he had to execute it with Run as Administrator, then everything went well.

Now with the other case where the client runs on IE 11 i.e. directly run the installation without first download.

I have not got a feedback from him, this is a problem with our highly internet based automated installations, we have very little personal connection with the client and many give up and do not respond if little problems arise. Do you have any idea how to deal with this phenomena?

Do you think if he runs IE 11 as administrator, this might solve the issue?

Thank you and kind regards.

Michael
Posted 02 Nov, 2018 14:38:25 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Michael,

To install a per-user add-in you start its installer non-elevated. A variant: you may start it elevated FOR AN ADMIN ONLY. The installer may ask for administrative permissions to install prerequisites missing on the target machine. If this is the case, the add-in will be registered for the original user (the user who started the installer, not for the admin user whose permissions are used to install prerequisites) *if* you pass /RunActionsAsInvoker=true to adxpatch.exe.

To install a per-machine add-in, you must start its installer via "Run as administrator". This doesn't depend on prerequisites.

We describe the step by step instructions on deploying per-user and per-machine add-ins in the manual; see section Deployment Step-by-steps, see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 06 Nov, 2018 06:07:31 Top
Michael Kaden

Dear Andrei,

I understand your comments above, thank you. The installation is per user and therefore should not require admin rights. Finally the user has managed to install it, without Administrator right. I am not sure what the issue was.

But during installation he got a Kaspersky virus warning, see:

User added an image

All the files on my built are checked by Kaspersky and do not show and Virus or other Malware. The code is signed by a valid Thawte code signing certificate. I had 4 other users who installed the software within +/- 24 hours without problems

Do you have any idea what could be causing the warning, perhaps there is something wrong with the users PC?

Thank your for your help and kind regards

Michael
Posted 07 Nov, 2018 06:38:28 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Michael,

To solve this issue, you need to republish your old builds using Add-in Express 9.1. The problem is caused by Add-in Express 9 whose binary utility files were built using VS 2015. This caused quite many antivirus software products to blame add-ins built using these utilities. After we tested this using virustotal.com, we've found out that the issue goes away if we build the very same C/C++ projects using VS 2010.

If the old MSIs still exist on your PC, you can simply choose the build to republish using the 'Publish->MSI-based web deployment->Version' combo-box.

If the old MSIs are missing, you need to choose every .MSI manually, choose preferences and publish.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 08 Nov, 2018 04:48:37 Top
Michael Kaden

Dear Andrei,

thank you for your prompt answer.

I am still running AddIn express 8.9.4453.0 as I experienced problems in upgrading to Version 9 some time ago. I understood that with 8.9 the virus issue does no exist? Do I have to upgrade to 9.1 to avoid virus messages?

Thank you & kind regards

Michael
Posted 08 Nov, 2018 05:33:24 Top