Problem installing add-in on a user's machine

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Problem installing add-in on a user's machine
"The parameter is incorrect." 
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Inspirometer Developer writes:
Also our add-in only appears in Inactive Add-ins (setting it to active does not work) - that's what we're trying to fix!

Make sure there are no add-ins listed under the Active Application Add-ins heading.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 11 May, 2018 06:03:54 Top
Inspirometer Developer

Where can I find outlook.exe.config? I can only find outlook.exe.manifest which is in the location outlook is installed
Posted 11 May, 2018 06:13:53 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

I can only find outlook.exe.manifest which is in the location outlook is installed

If it exists, it is in the folder where OUTLOOK.EXE is located.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 11 May, 2018 06:17:00 Top
Inspirometer Developer

Hi Andrei,

A lot has happened since my last post. First of all I could find no Outlook.exe.manifest on any user machine but that's not important because we've found the culprit! It seems our clients are running an add-in called "Report as Spam/Malware" (henceforth RSM). We've found this on all the machines experiencing the issue though interestingly disabling this add-in only fixed the problem for a small subset of those users.

I have confirmed that RMS is the source of the issue by installing it on both my development machine and a virtual machine. In both cases RMS prevented our add-in from starting.

RSM is an ADX add-in running on version 8.6.4408.0 with a .NET v4. The Inspirometer add-in is (funnily enough) also an ADX add-in, though we are running version 8.9.4453.0 and .NET v4.5.2. I'm wondering if this has to do with a conflict between version numbers whether that be .NET or ADX - what do you think? And how can we prevent conflicts such as this?
Posted 16 May, 2018 10:29:54 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello,

adxloader from Add-in Express 8.6 contains an issue that we tried to bypass in later versions. I suggest that you contact those guys (I can't google out that add-in) and suggest them to rebuild their add-in using Add-in Express 8.9; they can even build their add-in using version 8.6, just replacing loader files is okay; they can download it at https://www.add-in-express.com/downloads/adxloader.php.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 17 May, 2018 06:19:35 Top
Inspirometer Developer

Hi Andrei,

We've got in contact with the developer and asked them to update, however this is a large multi-national corporation so who knows how long it'll take to sort that out. Until then we're looking for a more immediate relief for the problem. Here's what I've tried so far:

Downgrading our add-in to ADX v8.6.4480.0
- This worked actually! The only problem is any time I go to test on this version with the VS2015 debugger it causes Outlook to crash. Very peculiar, no exceptions thrown by the add-in but event viewer says the faulting module is ntdll.dll with an exception code of 0xc0000374

Manually replacing RSM's adxloader files.
- Figured the add-in might need to be properly built for this but gave it a go anyway. Unfortunately the add-in doesn't run after I do this. On Outlook start-up I get a message box appear saying "Error code: 0x80092111". I could not find anything in these forums to do with this error code.

Upgrading our add-in to ADX v9.0.4610.0
- Didn't expect this to work, gave it a go anyway. It did not work.

Edit: Fixed the grim formatting
Posted 17 May, 2018 10:36:48 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you for posting your findings!

event viewer says the faulting module is ntdll.dll with an exception code of 0xc0000374

I have the same exception in a totally different situation. If I know anything about what causes this exception, I'll post it here. If you find something and the forum topic is closed by this time (by default, it is closed after 30 days of inactivity), please write to the support email and we will reopen the topic.

Manually replacing RSM's adxloader files. [skipped] "Error code: 0x80092111".

I've found that HRSULT at http://joshpoley.blogspot.com.by/2011/09/hresults-facilitysecurity.html. Loader files are signed and replacing loaders files causes this.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 May, 2018 05:45:51 Top
Inspirometer Developer

Do you have any suggestions on how we might proceed? Until we can get in contact with the developers of the other add-in we're stuck with ours not being able to run.
Posted 18 May, 2018 07:54:12 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Seems, the only way left is to use ADX 8.6 *on that machine*. As to 0xc0000374, check if it is reproducible with all other add-ins turned off. I suppose, you can leave enabled Microsoft Exchange Add-in and Microsoft VBA for Outlook Add-in.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 May, 2018 10:05:44 Top
Inspirometer Developer

Unfortunately, it is not just one machine. This is a large multinational company with tens of thousands of users. We have yet to hear back from them about the possibility of them upgrading their version of ADX (or at least the loader), but with the various processes in place for this size of organisation (authorisation, security audits, testing, beta groups, roll out to more than 10,000 users etc…) it will probably be at least 6 months if not more before they get the upgrade out to all their users, assuming they agree to do it at all.
As you can see this is very big client we are selling our service in to, and the thought of losing that client just because they run another add-in that uses a slightly older version of ADX, is unconceivable. Not only that, but what other potential clients might we come across that also use ADX 8.6? This could completely ruin our business model.

Is there anything at all we can do within our add-in to circumvent this issue?? Anything at all? Obviously with the exception of downgrading our add-in to use ADX 8.6, as this is clearly not a long-term solution, and will cause other issues in the long term. We can give you a copy of the “Report as Spam/Malware” add-in, and our current add-in, so you can reproduce the issue in Outlook 2007 yourself. Would that be helpful?
Posted 22 May, 2018 07:36:15 Top