AddOn only works when Run as Admin

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

AddOn only works when Run as Admin

Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Tomek.

The setup script is the .vdproj file of the setup project.
If the log file is not created, the setup project doesn't run custom actions. Please check if the setup project contains adxregistrator in the Uninstall custom action.
Posted 05 Jan, 2011 05:48:45 Top
tomek domek

Hello sorry I havent answered for over a week but I had holiday lol.
So yes in the setup project file is is set right and in the adxregext.exe I can find too.

So this is my situation now. If I run the setup.exe everything is fine. Installation and Uninstallation. Butif I want to deinstall from the Add/Remove Panel the AddoN is still visible.

Over commandine as admin the regext unsistall works fine too. Only over the Add/Remove Programms it aint working.

Please help me.

After building the msi file I edit it with orca to make it UAC compliant.
Posted 17 Jan, 2011 01:25:00 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Tomek.

Please use adxregistrator to register the add-on. You can re-create the setup project using the 'Create Setup' option of the project context menu.
Posted 17 Jan, 2011 07:48:55 Top
tomek domek

Hello I would love to use the adxregistrator.exe but I cant find it anywhere. Have the license for 2009 by the way.

Anyways the facts are that even if I just do a AddInn Express IE Addonn Project and change the msi with ORCA to UAC compliant the removal under Add Remove programms is not working.

I have to make the check with UAC compliant because I am running 2 other custom actions vstoInstaller.exe which deinstalls a word and outlook plugin.

Of course if I run a setup.exe for for removal everything works fine.

But I have to be able to deinstall it from the Add/Remove programms. And with the check with UAC compliant the uninstall of the 2 vsto works but the uninstall of the IE Addon aint working and the other way round without the check the AddOn for IE works but the unistalling vsto aint working.
Posted 17 Jan, 2011 10:50:35 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Tomek.

AdxRegistrator is available in Add-in Express 2010. I would advise you to split the instalation of VSTO add-ins and IE add-on. The fact is that VSTO add-ins should be installed for the current user to the user's profile folder and IE add-on requires the administrative installation for all users (usually the target folder is '.\Program Files').
Posted 18 Jan, 2011 05:44:05 Top
tomek domek

Hm I understand but I need everything in one installation. I run is as an admin anyways. FOr the vsto I do not use your product. I have only a license for the IE AddOn. But there must be a way.
Isnt it weired that if I make the msi UAC compliant that the IE Addon doesnt get uninstalled from the Add Remove programs?or is this normal behavior?if yes why?
because if I only make a IE project with a setup and change it to UAC compliant it doesnt work anymoe.IS this a known issue?
Its all about the deinstallation now.
Posted 18 Jan, 2011 10:00:49 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Tomek.

IE add-ons require elevated privileges if they are installed on Vista or Windows 7. So, the the UAC popup window should appear right after you run setup.exe. As for uninstallation, the UAC popup is shown before the uninstallation starts.
Do you see the UAC popup window immediately after you initiate uninstallation via the Add Remove Programs dialog?
Posted 20 Jan, 2011 06:40:07 Top
tomek domek

Hello so this is the deal in my case.

Lets assume only a AddoN IE Express project. I have my setup and run it. The IE Addon is installed. And when I uninstall it the UAC popup is showing up and it is beeing uninstalled.

But if I take the project (the simple example) and edit it with orca and edit to UAC compliant
the uninstall is throwing no UAC popup, no error and the uninstallation of the Addon is not working meaning that the AddOn is still there.

So like I said I want to check it as UAC compliant because of my two Custom vsto installations which can be only deinstalled when UAC is made with orca to compliant.
So then there is no POPUP either when uninstalling form A/R Programs.
Posted 20 Jan, 2011 18:44:40 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Tomek.

But if I take the project (the simple example) and edit it with orca and edit to UAC compliant
the uninstall is throwing no UAC popup, no error and the uninstallation of the Addon is not working meaning that the AddOn is still there.

As I said earlier, IE add-ons require elevated privileges. So, the setup shouldn't be UAC compliant. You can build the setup UAC compliant if you install an IE Explorer Bar project. The rest of projects (like add-ons and toolbars) require elevation.
Posted 21 Jan, 2011 09:07:18 Top