Animated Command Bar Buttons and Change Command Bar Icon dynamically

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Animated Command Bar Buttons and Change Command Bar Icon dynamically

semantique

Hi Andrei,

one solution for us might be the following:

As you can see in the picture below, some of the buttons do an icon and a small drop down arrow next to it.
User added an image

Is it possible to customize the command that is executed if the user clicks on the drop down arrow?

Bests
Posted 22 Jun, 2010 07:53:40 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Vincent,

semantique writes:
(i) place 2 buttons next to each other on installation

If this is critical, the easiest way is to use a custom toolbar. Otherwise, it requires a lot of research work with no guarantee of success. Specifically, you cannot be sure that the buttons will be shown together when your add-on starts for the first time.

semantique writes:
(ii) change button icons programmatically/dynamically

If this is critical, the easiest way is to use a custom toolbar. Otherwise, it requires a lot of research work with no guarantee of success.

semantique writes:
(iii) occupy the LEAST space possible

If this requirement is critical, you'd better use the built-in toolbar; we were unable to position a custom toolbar at the first start of the add-on except for using the NewRow constant.

As you see, there's no ideal solution for your requirements. I think, you'll have to sacrifice something.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+2),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 22 Jun, 2010 08:44:05 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Vincent,

That's the same area: intercepting controls on the built-in toolbar. This requires a lot of research work with no guarantee of success.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 22 Jun, 2010 08:45:22 Top
semantique

Hi Andrei,

the last point, i.e.

User added an image

still seems the most promising. Could you give us an indication of how much time/cost would be involved of finding a custom solution for this?

Thanks
Posted 22 Jun, 2010 09:12:10 Top
Juan Carlos Ruiz Pacheco

(i) place 2 buttons next to each other on installation

Hello, you can try this:
http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=10&TID=7255

Take a look to my last post.
Juan Carlos Ruiz
Microsoft MVP Visual C#
Systems Engineer
MCP, OCA, OCP
Posted 22 Jun, 2010 09:15:18 Top
semantique

Hi Juan,

thanks a lot for the link and for digging through our posts :D Very much appreciated. If you've got any other ideas on the topics we raised, we're also very happy to sub-contract.

Thanks and bests,
Posted 22 Jun, 2010 09:24:19 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Juan Carlos,

Have you tried this approach with other IE versions? Have you tried doing this in two add-ons? At Tool Button position, they express cautios scepticism...

Andrei Smolin
Posted 22 Jun, 2010 09:27:44 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Vincent,

semantique writes:
Could you give us an indication of how much time/cost would be involved of finding a custom solution for this?

Tomorrow, a responsible person will contact you on this matter.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 22 Jun, 2010 09:41:40 Top
Juan Carlos Ruiz Pacheco

Hello Andrei,
you rigth, for sure if you use some of this things that are officially unsupported by microsoft you need to be carefull about the restrictions:

1- Microsoft could change this registry keys whenever they want, next IE versión, next IE8 Pacth etc
2- My example is just for IE8, in my case I could use it with no problems because my add-in will just packed with a IE8 personalized distribution, no way to use it with other IE versions.
3- As well not supported features like this are not recommended, is usual some software packages use this features on other Windows unsupported functions.

final note: this could be usefull and you can make very interesting things, but use it under your own responsability, only you can verify what kind of use or target your Add-in would have.

If your Add-in for corporate users, or your Add-in is just for a fixed IE version etc, you can have a little of trust in your component, other ways... may be not... only you can meassure it with your real bussiness requeriment restrictions.
Juan Carlos Ruiz
Microsoft MVP Visual C#
Systems Engineer
MCP, OCA, OCP
Posted 22 Jun, 2010 09:45:14 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hello Vincent,

Andrei Smolin wrote:
Tomorrow, a responsible person will contact you on this matter.

I will reply today. In order to do this, or more exactly in order to try to do this, a good C++ programmer is needed, which is missing in our custom development team. Why C++? Because the mentioned command bar is, in fact, the old good ToolbarWindow32 and it is better to communicate with it in its own language. Theoretically, it could be done in a .NET language but to communicate with Win32 components you need to know their properties, methods and so on, which our .NET developers, naturally, don't know well enough.

So, considering the above we cannot take on your project. Sorry for taking your time and thank you for understanding.
Posted 22 Jun, 2010 11:51:02 Top