Is it possible to do something more like this
User added an image
using AIX?
Posted 22 Aug, 2012 13:06:27 Top
andrew.helgeland

Is it possible to do something more like this
User added an image
using AIX?

Would it just be a tiny little toolbar with one button and you would specify the placement?
Could you give some example (pref. C#) of how to to this if it is even possible?

Thanks a lot,
Andrew
Posted 22 Aug, 2012 14:49:24 Top
andrew.helgeland

Just to clarify, I mean adding a button on the same level as the address bar that would open a panel like above.

Thanks.
Posted 22 Aug, 2012 15:54:25 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Add-in Express team

Hi Andrew,

No, there is no trivial way for adding a button next to the URL field in Internet Explorer. The structure of the IE window is entirely different:

User added an image
.NET, Extended MAPI, Windows Phone & RT
Posted 23 Aug, 2012 03:24:08 Top
andrew.helgeland

Is there a way to show a panel like ^ from a toolbar button that I could put a web browser control in?
Posted 23 Aug, 2012 10:33:15 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Add-in Express team

Hi Andrew,

Sorry, but I do not quite understand your query. Could you please describe the final goal in detail (with screenshots if it is possible)?
Posted 23 Aug, 2012 10:42:58 Top
andrew.helgeland

Basically, a tiny toolbar with one button that shows and hides little popover window like the pictures above.

We are trying to keep the overall user experience the same across all 3 browsers (we are developing a firefox add-on and a chrome extension as well). The other two are going to have a button that shows and hides a panel like the above. That panel is just an html page, so that's why I was asking about the web browser control.

Would I need to make my own control that inherits from a ToolStripDropDownButton or would it be better to just keep the standard look and feel of a Internet Explorer toolbar? (in your opinion)

Personally, I think the user experience can and should be different between the browsers, but unfortunately I am not the one who gets to decide these things around here...
Posted 23 Aug, 2012 11:18:07 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Add-in Express team

Hi Andrew,

The ToolStripDropDownButton may not work properly in case of IE. I have just found two similar forum threads:

toolstripcontrolhost with webbrowser
Persistent Drop Down Menu Doesn't Hide

So, I don't recommend using the ToolStripDropDown controls in IE. As a workaround you can use a regular button on the IE toolbar and show an instance of the System.Windows.Forms.Form class to a user (see the Form.Show method). Of course, you can change the look and feel of your form according to the needs (as shown on the screenshot).
Posted 24 Aug, 2012 05:01:22 Top
andrew.helgeland

Hey, thanks for the suggestion, it is more or less working out. Now I have a toolbar with one button, "docked" right, that shows/hides a windows form with a web browser control in it.

I'm just having a few minor problems that are definitely not AIX issues, so I won't ask about them here. :)
Posted 24 Aug, 2012 13:36:48 Top
andrew.helgeland

Is there a way to determine how much space is available between the toolbar button that was clicked and the closest edge of the IE window? I just want to make sure my panel always opens inside the IE window's bounds (x-position only, if the window is too short or too small, oh well).
Posted 24 Aug, 2012 15:05:13 Top