Office addin gets disabled when office runs

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Office addin gets disabled when office runs
Office addin gets disabled everytime Word / Outlook / Excel runs 
Michael McMahon




Posts: 56
Joined: 2005-05-03
Hi there,

I'm have a problem with an addin that I've created for Office Outlook/Word/Excel. The addin stopped working in our production environment a couple of weeks ago and i've been trying to resolve the issue by any means possible since then.

Basically the issue is that Outlook / Word and Excel seem to disable the addin everytime they start. I can enable it in Outlook (using the COM Addins menu) and it will start but as soon as you restart Outlook it is disabled again, same with word. In fact when Outlook restarts it actually tries to start in Safe mode saying that Outlook didn't start properly previously.

The LoadBehaviour setting in the registry for word is set to 2, I've tried changing this to 3 but everytime word starts it sets it back to 2 and the addin is nevery displayed. The addin doesn't appear in Excel at all either. One interesting point to note is that there are no seetings under HKLM, they only exist under HKCU.

When i look at the addin using the COM addins interface in Word or Outlook it says: "Load behaviour: Not loaded. A runtime error occured during the loading of the COM Add-in." Is there a MS Office log that I can check to see more info on errors that occur when addins are loaded?

I really don't know what the issue could be that is causing the runtime error in the addin. There is no information in the log indicating any errors with the addin. I have been wondering whether the problem is to do with security and have tried setting the macro security level to low but this doesn't seem to make a difference. It used to work even though the security level was set to high!
Posted 10 Apr, 2006 17:51:26 Top
Sergey Grischenko


Add-in Express team


Posts: 7235
Joined: 2004-07-05
Hi Michael.

I have two questions.

1. What version of .NET framework did you develop the add-in for?
2. Do you use the C++ shim for the add-in?
Posted 10 Apr, 2006 18:33:52 Top
Michael McMahon




Posts: 56
Joined: 2005-05-03
Hi Sergey,

The addin is setup to use the .NET framework v1.1.4322. I've tried changing it to v2 but this doesn't seem to work too well (what I mean is in my development environment the addin stops working and starts exhibiting the same problems that I've described in my earlier posts when I change the .NET version to 2.0).

About the C++ addin shim, I don't currently use this. I did have a go at setting up the shim recently but wasn't able to get it working with my project. I think I had problems when installing it getting the addin to run .


Mike
Posted 10 Apr, 2006 22:12:26 Top
Sergey Grischenko


Add-in Express team


Posts: 7235
Joined: 2004-07-05
Hi Michael.

Can you send me the project? I will check the setup and add the C++ shim.
Posted 11 Apr, 2006 07:05:00 Top
Michael McMahon




Posts: 56
Joined: 2005-05-03
Well, I'm happy to report that we have finally resolved this issue. Thank you very much Sergey for the support you have provided.

It appears that adding a C++ shim and signing the shim is the solution!!!

I do think it's weird that Office doesn't give you proper warning messages when disabling an addin and it seems inconsistent the way office apps behave, sometimes just ignoring the options to "Trust all installed addins and templates", etc... however it seems that Microsoft will soon require all executeable code to be signed so I guess it's something that we just need to get used to doing.

Anyway, thumbs up to the boys at Afalina for their excellent support! :-)

Mike
Posted 09 May, 2006 22:20:30 Top