WPF or Winforms?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

WPF or Winforms?

Jiri Kala

Hi,

what platform do you recommend to develop Outlook addin which is expected to be widely used? WPF seems to be great, but I found several issues with integration to Office apps. And second aspect is installation simplicity, while Winforms requires only .NET framework 2.0 which is probably installed on nearly all computers. On the opposite side WPF needs .NET in minimal version 3.5, which is not so problematic, but the installation is than more "complex".

Thank you for your suggestions.
Jiri
Posted 18 Jul, 2011 16:47:53 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Jiri,

Please note that various issues remain in all Office and .NET Framework versions caused by a partial incompatibility of the WPF core and Office GUI. The installation of .net framework 3.5 is not so complex as you might think at first sight. You just need to include the required version of .net framework to the list of prerequisites.
Posted 19 Jul, 2011 03:43:35 Top
Jiri Kala

Hi Eugene,

Yes, I found several issues too, but very often it seems to be outdated and it is hard to find the information if it reamins or it is solved in newer versions of Office or in .NET 4. I know I have to search more over internet, but don't you know about some good and actual list of known issues about WPF in Office?

And thank you to suggestion about .NET installation, I included it in setup project and it works well.
Posted 20 Jul, 2011 12:45:51 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Posted 21 Jul, 2011 03:37:57 Top