Add-in Express loader manifest

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-in Express loader manifest

Maciej Chojnacki

Quick one.

How to make logFileLocation target path relative?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
<assemblyIdentity name="AddOn, PublicKeyToken=*********" />
<loaderSettings generateLogFile="true" shadowCopyEnabled="true" privileges="administrator"
configFileName="AddOn.dll.config">
<logFileLocation>?????</logFileLocation>
</loaderSettings>
</configuration>

Thanks in advance.
Posted 22 Dec, 2010 05:04:27 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Maciej,

Currently this feature is not added to Add-in Express 2010. However, we have such plans to add it. As a workaround you can add your own custom action to the MSI installer, for example, and then edit the adxloader.dll.manifest file manually according to the target OS.
Posted 22 Dec, 2010 05:21:11 Top
Maciej Chojnacki

Hmm, I'm sure I've read in one of your articles that this is possible.
Just to ensure - I want to put log into same folder that adxloader lays.
Does it change anything?

[Edited] - I found article. Maybe you need to change that if it;s not true also I underlined words bout relative paths.
http://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-deploying-addins.php
The manifest (adxloader.dll.manifest) is the source of configuration information for the loader. Below, you see the content of a sample manifest file.

<configuration>
<assemblyIdentity name="MyAddin14, PublicKeyToken=f9f39773da5c568a" />
<loaderSettings generateLogFile="true" shadowCopyEnabled="true"
privileges="user"> configFileName="app.config"
<logFileLocation>C:\MyLog.txt</logFileLocation>
</loaderSettings>
</configuration>

<configuration>
<assemblyIdentity name="MyAddin14, PublicKeyToken=f9f39773da5c568a" />
<loaderSettings generateLogFile="true" shadowCopyEnabled="true"
privileges="user"> configFileName="app.config"
<logFileLocation>C:\MyLog.txt</logFileLocation>
</loaderSettings>
</configuration>
The manifest file allows generating the log file containing useful information about errors on the add-in loading stage. The default location of the log file is {user profile}\Documents\Add-in Express\adxloader.log. You can change the location using the logFileLocation node; relative paths are also acceptable. The manifest file allows you to disable the Shadow Copy feature of the Add-in Express loader, which is enabled by default (see Deploying ?Â?Ð?ã shadow copy). The privileges attribute accepts the "user" string indicating that the Add-in Express based setup projects can be run with non-administrator privileges. Please, note, any other value will require administrator privileges to install your project. You should be aware that the value of this attribute is controlled by the RegisterForAllUsers property value of add-in and RTD modules (see Add-in Express Module basics). If RegisterForAllUsers is True and privileges="user", a standard user running the installer will be unable to install your Office extension. If RegisterForAllUsers is False and privileges="administrator", your Office extension will be installed for the administrator only.

Posted 22 Dec, 2010 08:48:00 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Maciej,

This is a bug in the online documentation. Thank you for pointing this to me.

As I said before, we are going to add that feature in the next builds of Add-in Express. I have found http://www.add-in-express.com/files/projects_pub/adxloader_adxregistrator_custom_place.zip for you on our web site.
Posted 22 Dec, 2010 11:09:41 Top
Bernhard Schandl

Hi Eugene,

can variables like %APPDATA% be used to set an absolute path?

Thanks,
Bernhard
Posted 05 Jan, 2011 15:23:26 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Bernhard,

Nope. However, we have such plans to add this feature in the next builds of Add-in Express.
Posted 06 Jan, 2011 05:39:57 Top