In Word 2010, ADXWordTaskPane doesn't show up when opening a document which opens in Protected View

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

In Word 2010, ADXWordTaskPane doesn't show up when opening a document which opens in Protected View

Himanshu Vasishth

In Word 2010, ADXWordTaskPane doesn't show up at all if you follow the steps listed below

Before following the steps make sure Protected View is enabled in Word 2010.

1. Download a Word document from a website. You can use the link http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1467109/4767%20%2810%29.docx if you want to.

2. Start Word from the Program menu.

3. Now double click on the document that was downloaded in step 1. This will open the document in Protected View (since it came from the web).

Expected
Any ADXWordTaskPane which has been registered should show up.

Actual
No ADXWordTaskPane shows up for the new document.

We are using 6.2.3051 version of Add-in Express 2010 for Office and .NET, Premium package, so are on the latest build available.
Posted 27 Oct, 2010 17:03:39 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Himanshu,

I cannot reproduce the issue on Windows 7 64-bit + Word 2010 32-bit + VS 2008 (.NET Framework 3.5) + Add-in Express 6.2.3051.

I created a new add-in with a Word task pane in the Bottom position, registered it and double-click a document downloaded from the web. The result is: the document is opened in the Protected view and the pane is shown. Do I do anything wrong?

Regards from Belarus (GMT+2),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 28 Oct, 2010 05:53:05 Top
Himanshu Vasishth

Hi Andrei

Did you have word running when you double clicked on the said document? Word needs to be running in order for the bug to repro. It won't repro if word starts as a result of the double click.

Also, I don't know if it matters or not but in my sample addin I had the pane registered to show up on the top. I have emailed you the code for the addin I was using.

Himanshu
Posted 28 Oct, 2010 12:53:11 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Himanshu,

I've tested that scenario, too. Whether I have Word running or not, double-clicking on such a document in Windows Explorer does show the pane for me. Oh, I had to comment out the Debug.Assert in your code as it produces a serious problem on my side. Can this be the cause of the issue on your side?

I've found an issue in our code: there's a difference in how the pane overlays the Navigation Pane if opening two documents: one downloaded from the web in Protected View and another one created locally. The issue is filed down under #1978. We are not sure what the timeline for fixing the issue will be.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 29 Oct, 2010 03:24:22 Top
Himanshu Vasishth

Hi Andrei

The bug definitely repro on our side and it repros on all 2010 machines we have here. Removing the Debug.Assert has no impact at all. And just to let you know it appears that the bug repros for Powerpoint 2010 as well. Also why is this assert going off for you at all? The assert is in method adxWordEvents_DocumentOpen and DocumentOpen event will not fire when opening a document which opens in ProtectedView.

Is the document not opening in ProtectedView for you? If not then that is likely the reason why the bug is not reproing for you. As I mentioned in my original post Protected View needs to be enabled and you need to try and open a document which opens in ProtectedView by default.

If you are still not able to repro the bug, can you let us know what additional information we can generate on our side and send it over so that you can help us diagnose the issue. As I said, on our side the bug repros on every single machine and it is blocking our entire release.

On y
Andrei Smolin wrote:
I've found an issue in our code: there's a difference in how the pane overlays the Navigation Pane if opening two documents: one downloaded fr om the web in Protected View and another one created locally. The issue is filed down under #1978. We are not sure what the timeline for fixing the issue will be.

Can you explain what you mean by difference in how the pane overlays the Navigation Pane? What is the end user impact? Alternatively is there a place wh ere I can go look up issue #1978 that you reference.
Posted 29 Oct, 2010 11:59:56 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Himanshu,

Himanshu Vasishth wrote:
If you are still not able to repro the bug

I've managed to reproduce that behavior with both Word and PowerPoint 2010. It occurs only if the first document is shown in a non-maximized window; in that case, Add-in Express panes are not shown for a document shown in the ProtectedWindow.

Those bugs are now filed under #1983 (Word) and #1984 (PP). As soon as I know when we are going to fix them, I'll let you know. Most probably, this will occur in a couple of hours.

Himanshu Vasishth wrote:
Can you explain what you mean by difference in how the pane overlays the Navigation Pane? What is the end user impact?

I'll try to. Look at how a vertical pane "joints" the horisontal one. There are two variants: the horisontal is drawn first or the vertical is drawn first; note that the pane drawn first leaves less space for the pane drawn later. For a document created locally, Add-in Express draws its panes first and then Word draws its panes such as the Navigation pane; for a document shown in the Protected View, Word draws the Navigation pane first and then Add-in Express drwas its panes.

An issue is given a number when being stored to our bug tracking system; currently, records relating to the issue can be viewed by our developers only. When we fix the bug and create a new Add-in Express build, that number gets written in whatsnew.txt where you can check it.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 01 Nov, 2010 09:44:02 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Himanshu,

We are going to fix them in a public build sheduled for 15-Nov-2010.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 01 Nov, 2010 09:55:50 Top
Himanshu Vasishth

Thanks Andrei!
Posted 01 Nov, 2010 12:53:08 Top
Fedor Shihantsov

Add-in Express team

Hi Himanshu,

Unfortunately we were not able to fix this issue.

The point is a subclassing window belongs to another process in the protected view mode.
That is why we have to use another window for subclassing in this mode.
Posted 18 Nov, 2010 05:11:07 Top
Fedor Shihantsov

Add-in Express team

Himanshu,

My last message was about issue #1978 (An add-in showing a Word task pane in any position...)
Posted 19 Nov, 2010 10:31:22 Top