Trouble with setup

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Trouble with setup

Anthony FILLEAU

Hi,

I use now AddInExpress 2010.

I have a problem when I want to upgrade my outlook addin on clients.

I set Remove previous release to Yes

When I run the MSI on client, the new release is installed but don't work because a lot of files are missing. Then if I try a repair from Add/Remove program, files are copied well and my addin run.

I think that the MSI start to install the new release and then remove previous release, so a lot of files are deteleted (adxloader.dll etc etc)

Do you know this problem ?
Posted 04 Aug, 2010 09:59:17 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Anthony,

Nope. I didn't hear about that before. How can I reproduce the issue you described? Could you please describe the required steps?
Posted 04 Aug, 2010 11:00:09 Top
Anthony FILLEAU

Not sure you are able to reproduce it (and sorry for my english)

With VS2008 and AddInExpress.net 2009 I made an Addin for Outlook named B-Outlook (v 1.0.6)
Then I upgrade my PC to VS2010 and AddInExpress.net 2010
Because I got some problem with the initial setup project in 2010, I made an rigth click in the VS explorer on my project and choose the Create setup (under the Publish ADX option)
I didn't delete the old setup project
The new setup project works.
Next, I have changed some code, and so the version number to 1.0.7

Now when I run the new MSI on my client, everything is OK during install, but after my folder has only 2 files. So I must run a repair in order to retreive my files. That s why I think that the setup copy the files from 1.0.7 and THEN uninstall the 1.0.6.... So common files are deleted.

I just seen that I have change the case in my product name. It was "B-Outlook" and now it is "B-OUTLOOK". May be it is the reason ?
Posted 04 Aug, 2010 11:22:43 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Anthony,

Did you change the product code?
Posted 04 Aug, 2010 11:49:08 Top
Anthony FILLEAU

Yes of course
Posted 04 Aug, 2010 12:16:08 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Anthony,

Yes of course

That is the cause of the issue! You created a new installer (i.e. a new product). Please use the same product code.

Please let me know whether it helps.

BTW It looks like it doesn't depend on Add-in Express. Could you please reproduce that issue without Add-in Express toolset? You can try using a simple windows forms application with MSI installer.
Posted 05 Aug, 2010 02:12:24 Top
Anthony FILLEAU

Hi Eugene

I m very surprise by your answer.

As I can read in few threads (eg : http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?PAGEN_1=2&FID=5&TID=5516#nav_start) I was thinking I must change the product code every time I release my project (Like Visual Studio sugest to me)

So may be I miss something.... May be there is two product code and two upgrade code (One couple for the AddIn himself, and one more for the setup) ?

So can you explain to me, simply, when I have to change the Product code for the Add IN, and/or the product code for the Setup project ?

(I think I never have to change the upgrade code in Addin or Setup project...)

Best Regards
Posted 05 Aug, 2010 07:38:16 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Anthony,

I was thinking I must change the product code every time I release my project (Like Visual Studio sugest to me)

No, you don't need to do that. Please read more about that http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372463%28v=VS.85%29.aspx.

So can you explain to me, simply, when I have to change the Product code for the Add IN, and/or the product code for the Setup project ?

Please have a look at the http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367850%28VS.85%29.aspx article. Also you you can read about the UpgradeCode http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372399%28v=VS.85%29.aspx.
Posted 05 Aug, 2010 08:40:24 Top
Anthony FILLEAU

I just tried to do a release in my code. (v1.0.8)
So I don't change the product code but know when I try to install my add in I have a message "This product is already installed, you must remove the product first"

So I made an other test by changing the product code. And this time I have the same problem, files are missing after updrade. (and this is the same setup project in 1.0.7 and 1.0.8)
Posted 09 Aug, 2010 07:41:33 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Anthony,

It looks like you didn't uninstall a previous version of the add-in, am I right?
Posted 09 Aug, 2010 08:05:08 Top