Slow Outlook startup with Add-in Express

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Slow Outlook startup with Add-in Express
Long startup time for Outlook with Add-in express add-in enabled. 
Sridhar Kapavarapu

Hi Andrew,

I implemented your suggestion i.e., I moved custom initialization code fr om Addin() constructor to AddinInInitialize() event but no luck.

And we also had looked into the link which u provided.
http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=2126&MID=11800#message11800.

But which is not useful in our case. We are experiencing delay even when exchange is available and In our code we are no wh ere dealing with publicfolders.

The Other link which u provided
http://www.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/microsoft.public.dotnet.security/2007-02/msg00098.html
is also not useful, since we are not using signed dll's.

Question: Are you able to reproduce the issue in your lab with the code we provided?

I observed some amount of delay in GetContainer() method which is getting executed before and after AddIn_intialize() event.

Our customers are getting hot now, so please provide some suggestions/fix for this issue as early as possible.

Thanks & Regards
Sridhar K
Posted 17 Feb, 2010 01:15:19 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Sridhar,

In fact I can see a relatively small delay 1-6 seconds on your add-in startup. I'm under the impression that this sort of delay depends on the CPU usage and on the overall usage of the machine.

Sridhar Kapavarapu writes:
...since we are not using signed dll's

Add-in Express assemblies are signed. Did you try to clear the "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" in IE? See Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Security.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+2),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 17 Feb, 2010 05:27:36 Top
Sridhar Kapavarapu

Hi Andrei,

yes, We unchecked the "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" check box in IE, but we did not find any diffence in the start time of Outlook.

Thanks & Regards
Sridhar K
Posted 17 Feb, 2010 05:59:42 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Sridhar,

Try turning off the antivirus software that you use. Also, you can turn off all COM add-ins and Exchange extensions. To turn a COM add-in off, set LoadBehavior = 0 in {HKLM and HKCU}\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\{add-in}.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 17 Feb, 2010 07:15:02 Top
Sridhar Kapavarapu

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for your reply. We already performed this option. We temporarily disabled the antivirus software and verified outlook starup time but still the same delay we observed.

We do not have any other com add-ins installed.

Regards
Sridhar K
Posted 17 Feb, 2010 08:11:09 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Sridhar,

If an empty add-in produces the same delay, then unfortunately, I don't have other ideas. As I said somewhere on the forum, we've never been able to reproduce a dealy at add-in start-up. I also posted a code fragment that generates that part of the log and we think there's nothing we can change in it.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Feb, 2010 07:54:06 Top