Add-in installation on Vista

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-in installation on Vista

Paul Cross

Hi,

I'm testing an an add-in installation on Vista and have a number of questions. My configuratiuon is as follows:

- The RegisterForAllUsers property is set to true.
- The InstallAllUsers property is set to true for the setup.
- The adxloader.dll.manifest has privileges="administrator".
- The adxloader.dll.manifest has shadowCopyEnabled="false" (what does this mean?).
- UAC is ON.
- The add-in is installed using setup.exe.

When the setup.exe runs, the default install location is set to C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\<companyname>\<productname>\.

If the installation is for all users why does the install default to the roaming profile? I know that Vista does some ProgramFiles virtualization trickery, but what is the correct way to install an add-in for all users on Vista?

Regards,
Paul
Posted 02 Jan, 2009 07:22:48 Top
Andrew Painter

Your setup.exe designer is responsible for your default install location. I use Macrovision's InstallShield instead of Visual Studio's setup projects, because InstallShield is strictly a setup designer intended to present all these details in an intuitive user interface. To change the install-to target with VS, you just need to sit down with the MSDN library and get to know the tool.

Have you actually run the host application as a user other than the one you installed with, to see if it in fact installed for all users in spite of its filesystem location?
Posted 02 Jan, 2009 16:37:31 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Paul.

You needed to uncheck the 'Configure the installer for the Standard user' option when you created a new add-in.
In this case the add-in would be configured to install in the 'Program Files' by default.

The adxloader.dll.manifest has shadowCopyEnabled="false" (what does this mean?).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404279.aspx
Posted 03 Jan, 2009 07:20:38 Top