Two Questions in RTD Server

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Two Questions in RTD Server
UpdateTopics and User Install 
Neil Partington

Hi,

I have two questions about the RTD Server.

1. The Server installs fine on an XP machine if I am logged in as an administrator, however if I am logged on without "admin" rights the server installs ok but doesnt run and we get #NA within excel.
This was fixed by changing the manifest file to contain "user" rather than "administrator", which I now use as default.
Question - What problems am i now likely to have since all installations will not be done with "user" in the manifest? Why is the "user" setting not the default?

2. When I originally built the RTD Server I was using Excel 2003, when I moved to Excel 2007 however the server began to crash after a certain length of time.
This was tracked down to Excel 2007 throwing an exception within "UpdateTopics()" function stating that "Excel was busy, and the call should be tried again later", I dont have the exact error id but could find it if necesary.
Putting a try / catch around the call fixes the issue.
Question - Is the code doing doing something wrong to cause this exception in the first place, or is this expected behaviour under 2007?

These are not urgent issues but I wanted to check in case I could stop issues happening in the future.

Cheers
Neil
Posted 19 Nov, 2008 09:34:25 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Neil,

1. Please check up the RegisterForAllUsers property of the RTDServerModule. You probably set this property by mistake.

2. No, it is not. I'd recommend debugging your project.

BTW You can find more information in the documentation (see the pdf file in the <Add-in Express installation folder>Docs folder).
Posted 19 Nov, 2008 11:37:31 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Neil,

Please have a look at the http://www.add-in-express.com/support/addin-c-sharp.php page. It contains a couple of sample RTD projects.
Posted 19 Nov, 2008 11:40:24 Top