The manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened error

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

The manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened error

Alex Ben-Ari

Hi.
After deploying a Word adding using the ClickOnce project one of our customers got back to us with the error in the title.
We are pointing our customers to a "setup.exe" that checks for framework 2.0 (which was present in this customers case). The error was received when setup.exe was trying to open the .application file itself.

Other customers did not complain about this , so it is something specific to his configuration. Do you have an idea? Are there any customer side firewall or similar things that I need to consider that may stop the customer from being able to reach the .application file?

Yoru help is greatly needed and appreciated.

Alex.
Posted 18 Nov, 2008 18:47:02 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Alex,

Please check up firewall settings.

BTW Does your customer use Vista?
Posted 19 Nov, 2008 05:59:39 Top
Alex Ben-Ari

He is using XP professional + office 2003.
He is behind a firewall but not blocked from downloading executable files, since he was able to run setup.exe. What settings shoudl I check for?
Any other ideas? Can it be related to HTTP proxy server? If so, how?

Thanks,
Alex.
Posted 19 Nov, 2008 06:03:08 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Alex,

Could you create a sample add-in with ClickOnce installer which can reproduce the issue and send us the project to the support e-mail address (see readme.txt)?
Posted 19 Nov, 2008 06:09:58 Top
Alex Ben-Ari

I think the problem is not so much in the addin project itself but in some specific setting of that particular user's envirnoment since it works perfectly for other users. I will send you by mail as you requested in any case in a moment.

Thanks,
Alex.
Posted 19 Nov, 2008 06:15:20 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Alex,

I have just tested your add-in. It was installed on my PC without any problem.

I am sorry I am not able to help you with this. I'd recommend checking up the customer PC.
Posted 19 Nov, 2008 07:55:34 Top