VSTO installer works on 1 PC but not on others

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

VSTO installer works on 1 PC but not on others
VSTO install 
Paul O'Neill

Hi all

I'm new to the Add-In Express world and am having problems with an Outlook 2003 add-in we have created.

We managed to get it working on 1 PC when we manually installed PIA assemblies, but the other PCs in the organisation don't want to play :(

Can anyone (a) suggest what is missing on these other PCs, and
(b) point me to instructions on how to create a single package that does everything, including
© handling PCs that have never had .Net Framework installed.

Many TIAs (TsIA?)
Paul
Posted 04 Sep, 2008 05:07:22 Top
Jacob Mesu

It's probably an issue with the permissions on workstation. Try this sample from microsoft. The installer class contains some extra functionality to set the rights correct.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=078124E9-1E88-4F51-8C98-3C1999CFE743&displaylang=en
Posted 04 Sep, 2008 11:28:07 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Paul,

Please read the "Creating Setup Projects Manually" section in the Developer's guide.
Posted 04 Sep, 2008 14:54:34 Top
Paul O'Neill

Hi Eugene

I read the section on Creating Setup Projects Manually and was surprised that this was required since the ADX wizard _appeared_ to have created an installer for me.

Unfortunately, that didn't work either...

On the target machine where there is only 1 user with full administrative privilieges, we get the dreaded (and totally useless) error message:
"exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" - like: what does that actually mean??? :?: :|

Anyway, what information can I provide to aid in diagnosing this problem?

TIA
Paul
Posted 19 Sep, 2008 00:14:24 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Paul,

Could you send us the sources to the support e-mail address (see Readme.txt)?
Posted 19 Sep, 2008 08:44:54 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Paul,

Note that we sign any reasonable NDA.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 19 Sep, 2008 11:47:10 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Paul,

Do you use ClickOnce?
Posted 09 Oct, 2008 11:27:33 Top
Paul O'Neill

Hi Eugene

>> Do you use ClickOnce?

First I tried to use the built in setup program that gets created along with my first ADX project (yes, I'm an ADX noob :P )

Then as per your recommendation (above) on July 25, I read and followed the section on "Creating Setup Projects Manually" but still no success.

I really don't mind what sort of installer I have as long as it works and I can understand _how_ it works at the end of the day.

Hope you can help.

Best regards
Paul
Posted 13 Oct, 2008 21:59:08 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Paul,

I really don't mind what sort of installer I have as long as it works and I can understand _how_ it works at the end of the day.

Hope you can help.

Sorry, I can't clearly see what do you mean?
What kind of help do you need? What exactly do you want to understand?
Posted 15 Oct, 2008 13:08:26 Top
Paul O'Neill

Hi Eugene

As per my first email at the top of this thread, I can't get an installer to work with the project we sent to you a few weeks ago.

Neither the installer that gets created with the project, nor the one described in "Creating Setup Projects Manually" section in the Developer's guide would work.

And as much as we like this client, we don't want to make a site visit every time we update the app.. it's not like their office is somewhere exotic.... ;)

Hope you can help
Paul
Posted 27 Oct, 2008 02:29:36 Top