UAC?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

UAC?
Are there limitiations on the installation concerning UAC on/off? 
Jacob Vestergaard

Hello, I am about to develop and deploy an Add-In to a lot of users. Some may have Vista with and without UAC turned on.

Are there any limitations for the ADX-addin concerning UAC? Does UAC have to be turned on for instance? What should I be aware of?

I would like to know this early in the development procedure, so that we can decide on our deployment method.

Thanks in advance,
Posted 08 Jun, 2008 06:44:38 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Jacob,

The User Account Control (UAC) must be turned on for the Office 2007 add-in installed to HKCU (for the current user account only) to work. For instance, if UAC is turned on, the user can turn the add-in on / off via the COM Add-ins dialog. Otherwise, Office 2007 will show your add-in in this dialog but will not load the add-in.

You can find more about http://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-tips.php#UAC-Vista in the online Developer's Guide.

Posted 09 Jun, 2008 07:47:20 Top
Jacob Vestergaard

Hi, thanks for your response.

A follow-up question: What if we have a situation, where the end-user does not have UAC turned on for his user account. Will it be impossible for the user to install and run the add-in? Or does the add-in just have to be installed to all users?

Thanks once again,
Posted 09 Jun, 2008 08:20:08 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Jacob,

You can install the add-in with the UAC turned off. But Outlook will not be able to load it.
Posted 09 Jun, 2008 08:38:13 Top
Jacob Vestergaard

So, what you are saying, is that our end-users will not be able to run our add-in in Vista, when they have disabled UAC in Control Panel -> User Accounts? Is there no way around this?
This will be a huge issue for us...
Posted 09 Jun, 2008 09:22:05 Top
Daniel Tiru

Hi

I dont know but i have never had UAC on, (disabled via controlpanel) and my addins i develop runs without any problem. Havent tested with UAC on as it is very bad for me to use.

/Daniel
Posted 09 Jun, 2008 14:03:33 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hello Jacob,

Please read the following http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms269007(vs.80).aspx.
Posted 10 Jun, 2008 08:54:00 Top
Jacob Vestergaard

Hello, I have read and understood the article. What my question to you, Eugene, is: Does the development using ADX for .NET in any way limit my possibilities for deployment? If I setup my project and setup-project right, can I then deploy it to all users? Without having to tell them to turn UAC on and off in Vista..?

I'm sorry that I am so persistent, but a "possible" or "impossible" answer would be nice. There is no use in spending time developing the add-in, if it is impossible to get it to install on some configurations.

Thanks for all your replies so far,
-Jacob
Posted 10 Jun, 2008 10:40:18 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hello Jacob,

It is possible to deploy an add-in for all users.
Posted 10 Jun, 2008 10:59:34 Top
Jacob Vestergaard

Excellent Eugene,

Thank you very much for your patience and help.
Posted 10 Jun, 2008 11:05:10 Top