add in stop working partly

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

add in stop working partly

danny kario

Hi,

I wrote 3 add-ins : 1 for word, 1 for excel, 1 for powerpoint.
3 different MSI files, 3 different projects.

the add in contains some menus (added a new menu item) and some code (dialogs, doc changes etc). For example (changed the values):
the menu says "special offer" and when you choose it the applicaion
opens a new dialog window with some info. The dialog also pops up when you save a document.

I installed the tool at the clients and it was working fine.
few months later, I got 2 different bugs:

A. in some installations, the menus are ok, but the code stopped working. that is - you see my menus, but when click on it - nothing happens. This is for ALL 3 applications (word,xls,ppt) !
B. in other installations, the menus are gone - not shown at all, but the code is there. For example when you save the dialog pops up.

Any ideas ?

Thanks & Best

danny

P.S.

I'm using the 2005 version - but is this really relevant for fixing the problem ?

Posted 05 Mar, 2008 05:34:28 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Danny.

A. Are the add-ins enabled in the COM Add-ins dialog?
B. The menus could be removed by the user. Please try to disable the add-in via the COM Add-ins dialog and enable it again.
Posted 05 Mar, 2008 08:15:16 Top
danny kario

Hello Sergey,

1. The add-ins are not shown in the COM add-ins dialog. This happens when they work as well (they are dll, of course - should they be shown?)
2. see (1). the menu is the top most ("file", "edit", "view" etc - the one after "help").

Any ideas ?

Thanks & Best

danny
Posted 10 Mar, 2008 18:57:53 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Danny.

I suppose you register the add-in for all users.
Please modify the add-in project in that way the add-in is installed for the current user only. It will allow you to enable/disable the add-in via the COM Add-ins dialog.
Posted 11 Mar, 2008 11:35:45 Top
danny kario

Hi,

I can not do this - the plug in is running in an enterprise environment, where different users are logging on and off on the same workstation.

Is this a known bug ? Is this the same bug (one time menus but not dialog, one time dialog but no menus) ?

thanks

danny
Posted 12 Mar, 2008 11:45:05 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Danny, are you able to reproduce the issue on your PC?
E.g. you can install the add-in for all users and log on to the PC under different accounts.
Posted 13 Mar, 2008 10:08:20 Top
danny kario

Hi,

I'll try. but for sure the addin does not work on the current login - so even it works on other user, its not a complete work-around.

What do you think ?

Best

danny

Posted 14 Mar, 2008 12:52:19 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Danny,
if you install the add-in for all users and your command bars/controls are not temporary, it is not possible to remove controls from the users' accounts. And, if the user removes remaining command bars manually (via the Customize dialog), the information about the add-in commands still remains in the registry. Next time, when the add-in is installed, Add-in Express doesn't display command bars since they were removed manually.
To avoid this issue you need to use temporary command bars and controls or just install the add-in for each user individually.
Posted 17 Mar, 2008 11:15:51 Top
danny kario

Hello Sergey,

1. Thanks for the answer - I'll do as you suggested.
2. Just to verify - my bar is actually the "Menu Bar" (the toppest). I'm adding a new command after the "help". Is the temporary flag=true still needed when installing to all users ?

Thanks & Best

danny
Posted 19 Mar, 2008 07:06:03 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Danny.

Yes, if you install the add-in for all users, I would advise you to set the Temporary property to True for all hosts except for Word. Word doesn't work stable with temporary controls. Sometimes controls disappear.
The best solution in this situation is that the add-in is installed for each user individually with Temporary = False.
Posted 19 Mar, 2008 09:12:37 Top