UDF not initializing for multiuser

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

UDF not initializing for multiuser

nitin c

Hi,

If I install my addin for single user, it works fine. I changed RegisterForAllUsers to True in Addinmodule and InstallForAllUser to True in the Setup.

Then I built the setup and installed it with admin rights. It installed fine.. everythign was working, i changed the user to another admin user, and UDF was not loading. I checked the registry and found that the UDF key did not have "Programmable" key. I added that using admin account and with all users, I manually added my UDF using Tools -> Addins and then it worked.

Am i missing something?

Also, after installing the addin, if a new user is created with limited access, then will my addin load for him?

- Nitin
Posted 13 Aug, 2007 05:35:54 Top
nitin c

I tried it again on a new machine, and after installing, when i switched the user to another admin user, it did not have the OPEN key in KHCU\...\Office\11.0\Excel\Options
Also, Addin was not present under Automation servers like before

Is it possible to load UDF through COM addin
Posted 14 Aug, 2007 02:53:41 Top
nitin c

Hi all,

could you guys atlest let me know how can i debug this issue.. any hints about where should I be looking.

without the ability to install for multiuser, my addin is useless.
Posted 15 Aug, 2007 02:57:01 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Nitin.

The point is that UDF doesn't work if you register it in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\{0}.0\Excel\Options key.
So please install the add-in for each user individually (RegisterForAlUsers = false).

Is it possible to load UDF through COM addin

It is possible for XLL add-ins only.

P.S. We always do our best to answer your forum requests as soon as possible. However, we apply the rule "first in first out" with Premium Support Service subscribers taking priority. Please understand it may take us some time to do research on the issue. Please be assured we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 17 Aug, 2007 19:02:43 Top
nitin c

Hi Sergey,

For now I have done the following

Install for multiuser
A different user logs in and opens Excel
COM addin loads
COM addin adds registry key(OPENn) to load automation addin
Asks the user to restart excel to complete installation of Addin
User restarts Excel
This time both UDF and menus are available

But i still want to skip the restart excel step.

Thanks,
Req Spec.
Posted 18 Aug, 2007 01:19:43 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Nitin.

As an alternative solution, you can add an .exe application to the Auto Start menu in Windows.
This program will change the registry when a new user logins.
Posted 18 Aug, 2007 14:48:26 Top