Missing functionality in Visual Studio Express Edition

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Missing functionality in Visual Studio Express Edition

Oliver Hutchison

I have just installed add-in-express into Visual Studio Express Edition C# and I'm working through the "First Office COM Add-in" tutorial and I've got to "Step 11" where I'm told to "Choose the Register Add-in Express Project item in the Build menu" but as far as I can see there is no such item in the build menu.

How do I run and debug my COM add-in when using this product?

Thanks,

Oliver
Posted 02 Jul, 2007 01:04:38 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Oliver.

In VS 2005 Express, the 'Register ADX Projects' option is located in the context menu of the addinmodule. Also the Express version of Visual Studio doesn't provide any possibility to debug Class Library based projects. So you will have to change the <project name>.csproj.user file manually.
E.g.

<PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Debug|AnyCPU' ">
<StartAction>Program</StartAction>
<StartProgram>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE</StartProgram>
</PropertyGroup>

P.S. We always do our best to answer your forum requests as soon as possible. However, we apply the rule "first in first out" with Premium Support Service subscribers taking priority. Please understand it may take us some time to do research on the issue. Please be assured we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 02 Jul, 2007 10:04:47 Top
Oliver Hutchison

Thanks, works like a charm!

Now for my next question.

How do I create setup.exe? In step 13 of the tutorial it just says "build the setup project" but again I don't see how this is done in VS 2005 Express.
Posted 02 Jul, 2007 19:35:46 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Oliver.

VS 2005 Express doesn't support the setup projects. Please use third party installers or just install VS 2005 Standard or Professional editions.
Posted 03 Jul, 2007 16:24:44 Top