missing com bar button in Word 2007

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

missing com bar button in Word 2007
Custom command bar button goes missing after first run in Word 2007 
Michael McMahon

Hi there,

I've been working on a new Office addin for Office 2007 Word, Excel and Outlook. I have started from scratch and used the ADX Loader for this one (which is much simpler than the shim approach - thank you again Add-In-Express) and then I created two command bars. One which is part of the Standard toolbar in Outlook (Explorer), Excel and Word, this has one command bar button control attached to it. Then there's a second command bar for the inspector view in Outlook.

Anyway, the Command bar button for Outlook/Excel/Word appears the first time okay and remains in place when I restart Outlook or Excel but not Word. I.e. it's there the first time I start word after the install but not there when I restart word. Any ideas on why this is happening. I've got the Temporary property of the command bar and button set to False and I have the UseForRibbon property set to True.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Posted 30 May, 2007 03:13:18 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Mike.

I know about this issue. The workaround is to set the Visible property of the command bar to true in the AddinStartupComplete event handler.
However I would advise you to use the Ribbon components to add custom command bars and controls to Excel and Word.

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them.
Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 30 May, 2007 09:31:23 Top
Michael McMahon

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I've tried the suggestion you provided of setting the command bar visible property to True, however I still have the problem.

I'm interested in the idea of using the Ribbon components for Excel and Word but I need to think about the best way to do this as I want to continue to support Office 2003 with the same addin as well. I'm just not sure how to go about doing that. I suppose I could turn off the Ribbon UI command bar if the host app is a 2003 product and turn it on if it's Office 2007 (and of course vice versa with the normal command bars/buttons)?

Mike
Posted 30 May, 2007 23:29:41 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Mike.

There is no need to turn off the Ribbon command bars in Office 2003. They are disabled automatically by the Add-in Express code.
You just need to configure the SupportedApps and UseForRibbon properties of your command bars in the correct way.
Posted 31 May, 2007 06:45:09 Top