Changing ClickOnce Provider URL

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Changing ClickOnce Provider URL

Ken Puls

Hi there,

I have my add-in published using a ClickOnce deployment. For the past few years, I've been publishing it to the following:

domain_one.com/software/myaddin.application

It's been working perfectly, and prompts to check for updates every two weeks. My issue now is that I've just purchased a domain specific to the product, so now need to update it so that future versions are served from:

domain_two.com/software/myaddin.application

I'd like this to be as seamless as possible for my customers. Ideally, they don't even notice, as the add-in should just get an update, and then pull from the new domain next time. My thoughts are that I need to do the following steps to make this happen, but was hoping that someone might be able to confirm that I'm correct.

Step 1: Update the Provider URL in the Add-in Express Publish dialog
Step 2: Publish the new build (let's call it 2.0.0.1)
Step 3: Upload build 2.0.0.x to both Domain1 and Domain2
Step 3: Publish any newer builds (2.0.1.x and higher) to Domain2 only

My thoughts are that the next time my add-in checks for an update, it will do so from Domain1, as that is what would have been in place the last time they updated. But when that file updates, (from Domain1,) it will then point it to Domain 2 for future updates. Worst case would be they are in the habit of deferring updates, and end up where they get the latest build from Domain1, only to find out that there are still available (at Domain2).

Am I correct in my assumptions, or am I misunderstanding things?

Thanks for any insight!
Ken Puls, FCPA, FCMA, MS MVP
Posted 09 May, 2022 17:51:46 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Ken,

Alas, with ClickOnce, your only option is to manually uninstall the current version and then install the new one.

Regards from Poland (CEST),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 10 May, 2022 08:15:59 Top
Ken Puls

Shoot. That's not awesome. Thanks Andrei, I'll have to rearchitect my upgrade plan then. Glad I asked, and appreciate the response!
Ken Puls, FCPA, FCMA, MS MVP
Posted 10 May, 2022 10:50:34 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Welcome!

Regards from Poland (CEST),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 11 May, 2022 03:44:07 Top