Strange error after installing on 365

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Strange error after installing on 365

bobcalco

My tester after installing using a project-generated Windows installer reports that first attempt to open 365 give a "The file format and extension of 'adxloader.Accelerate365.dll' don't match. Do you want to open it anyway?" She naively clicked yes, and it tried to load the DLL into the spreadsheet, which went how you would expect.

The question is: what could possibly have happened? She's tested with other versions of Office on multiple machines, and not seen this except on her Windows 10 running subscription version of Microsoft 365.

I do development on Office 365 and cannot reproduce locally. Any suggestions?
Posted 29 Mar, 2022 19:06:05 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Bob,

I suppose this relates to the bitness of Office. Is this so?

I'd also like to run that installer on my side. Would this be possible? I won't try to load the add-in; I only want to check what files it deploys and how it registers.

Regards from Poland (CET),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 30 Mar, 2022 03:07:43 Top
bobcalco

I am not setting it to 64 bit and all my assemblies (I believe) are CPU agnostic, but I'll double check that. Also, I'll need to check if it's OK to share the installer with you as we are still pre-release.
Posted 30 Mar, 2022 06:14:27 Top
bobcalco

Naturally, my legal people are wondering if you can first try to give a specific thing or two to look for to help identify the issue. I figure you've been through this enough times you just want to solve it in the shortest period of time possible, because you know what you're looking for.

But I have to ask: Is there some checklist of things we can look for to self-diagnose first?
Posted 30 Mar, 2022 07:36:02 Top
bobcalco

OK, so the proposal to give you access is this:

1. If you're willing to sign an NDA, let me know what email we can send it to;

2. We'll need to coordinate a way to get it to you outside the forum, maybe drop box or we can give you access to a place on our Google drive, because it's too big for email.

If you're OK with 1 and 2, then we can get you a current (WIP) installer.
Posted 30 Mar, 2022 07:44:02 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Bob,

This isn't really convenient for me to sign an NDA at the moment. Let's take the usual route.

You can create a new add-in project, let Add-in Express generate a setup project for it, build the installer, run it and compare the files it deploys with the files your real installer deploys.

Also, reinstall your real add-in, start Excel and send me copies of these files; find the support email address in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt; please make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

- %temp%\{AssemblyProduct attribute; see AssemblyInfo}\adxregistrator.log in the profile of the user who runs the installer
- %temp%\{AssemblyProduct attribute; see AssemblyInfo}\adxloader.log in the profile of the user who starts Excel

"The file format and extension of 'adxloader.Accelerate365.dll' don't match" suggests the user opens that file or you make Excel open that file programmatically and after that Excel declares "the file doesn't fit what I expect". What do you do to get that message? I've tried to open a similar file to reproduce this issue but failed.

Find symptoms and suggestions in section Troubleshooting; see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 30 Mar, 2022 08:18:05 Top
bobcalco

We are seeing evidence the issue is with the ironically named Windows "Defender" which is (sometimes, but not always!) intervening in the installation claiming "unauthorized changes." This is apparently when the testers observe weird symptoms like those reported here. We are installing per user, not to the Program Files location, so that's ...curious. The user is the only user on the machine and is set up as Administrator, and moreover runs the installation as administrator; so it is a bit puzzling whose additional authorization Windows "Defender" thinks is required.

I am going to set up EV code signing and see if that makes it go away.
Posted 31 Mar, 2022 15:03:46 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Bob,

Please let me know about your result. Usually, digitally signing an add-in helps to deal with antivirus software products.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 01 Apr, 2022 03:52:36 Top