Installation Errors on Windows 11 ARM

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Installation Errors on Windows 11 ARM

gmorris@stat-design.com

Hello Add-In Express team-

I have been using Add-in Express for over 10 years in our products and love it.

All of my development for the last ten years has been on MacBooks running Parallels with Windows 7 or 10 operating system.

I recently purchased a new iMac with M1 Chip and I'm currently running Windows 11 ARM in Parallels.

I get an error when installing Add-in Express (v1000-b4700). The installer launches and then fails right before where the activation screen should appear with the following (3) messages:

Runtime error 216 at 7E15BF8B
Runtime error 216 at 79740008
"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

I realize Windows 11 ARM is an unusual configuration; however, Visual Studio works fine on Parallels/Windows 11 ARM and I would like to use my M1 iMac with Parallels as my development machine. I also got the same errors running Windows 10 ARM.

Any advice would be appreciated. It seems like there is some sort of incompatibility with the Add-in Express license activation executable and Windows 10/11 ARM.

I am willing to test any proposed work-arounds or new installers and I'm sure more developers will be in the same situation as me with Intel-based Macs are being replaced with M1 chips.

Thanks,
Garron
Posted 02 Feb, 2022 22:36:30 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Garron,

At https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/releases/2022/system-requirements, in section 'Supported Operating Systems' they write:

The following are not supported:

32-bit and ARM operating systems.

This said, the Add-in Express installer won't support any of the configurations not supported by Visual Studio.

Sorry for the bad news.

Regards from Poland (CET),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 04 Feb, 2022 06:17:13 Top
Garron Morris

Hi Andrei-

Thanks for your response. I fully expected Add-in Express to align with Microsoft and have accepted that I'm going to have to continue development on my Intel-based Macbook while looking into alternatives using virtual machines, Windows365, etc, for my Apple Silicon M1-iMac.

That said, if Visual Studio ever supports Windows ARM, I am happy to test any updated Add-in Express installers.

Thank you.
Garron
Posted 04 Feb, 2022 14:14:54 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you, Garron!

Regards from Poland (CET),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 07 Feb, 2022 06:32:24 Top