Excel - more than one ribbon?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Excel - more than one ribbon?
Problem when second ribbonbar added to vb.net project 
Tom Mulholland

Hi Andrei

My excel project has one ADX ribbon tab, all (was) working fine.

I then added a second ADX ribbon tab into the same project with some buttons etc.

Problem is that F5 causes Excel to start up then close down. I can't debug the addinmodule.new() event to see what is tripping, as this event doesn't fire up. I have deleted the second ribbonbar but now Excel still not happy and closes down straightaway.

I have tried unregistering then reregistering the class assembly, no use, and have gone carefully through addinmodule etc. to see if any conflict. Project has no errors in error list.

Can you help?

Thanks
Posted 19 Apr, 2021 18:33:31 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Tom,

Whenever Office tries to load your add-in, a log file is created. Its default location is %temp%\{AssemblyProduct attribute; see AssemblyInfo}\adxloader.log in the profile of the user who starts Excel. Start Excel from the Start menu and make sure the file doesn't contain errors. In this case, the last line is "The instance of the managed add-in class has been created successfully".

Also, make sure you have the "Show add-in user interface errors" checkbox selected; check section Get informed about errors in Ribbon markup; see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 20 Apr, 2021 01:51:50 Top
Tom Mulholland

Thanks very much - somehow I think that will be very useful information for the future!

In the meantime, I have now located the source of the error - I had changed the filename of an ADX excel task pane in solution explorer but had not changed the TaskPaneClassName of one taskpaneitem in my task panes manager to the new filename.

So it was not in fact related to the 2nd ribbon tab at all.

Best regards

Tom
Posted 20 Apr, 2021 02:03:36 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you, Tom!

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 20 Apr, 2021 08:32:19 Top